Datnoid Prices?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys, I currently own an indonesian datnoid, cost me 30 bucks for around 2 in. I was wondering why Siamese Dats (aka widebar?) are so much more expensive. They look the same to me (minus an extra stripe)? Are people really paying 2-3x the amount for a wider bar? Or do they get a different coloration? I would just like to know why the prices vary so much between the species. Thanks!

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
ST cost so much more now because of rarity. used to cost more because of better coloring and they tend to be alot more stable

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
and it would be more like 10x the price

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
ST are very fragile, they have the most tendency of SDS, Sudden Death Syndrome, They said that it's always stable, and yes they're rare. Also they tend to be bigger than other Dats, that's if yours survive being a juvi. Some say that they're hard to rear off to live food also, I don't own one, but a LFS around our place has a 18" ST, and it has a budget destroying price.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
and it would be more like 10x the price

At least...

Well ST have three bars between the eye and tail correct? If so I have seen these for 60 bucks at only 2in or so
No, those are not true ST's. There was a lot of debate about these supposed "new baby ST's" when they showed up in the market but the general consensus as far as I know are they are just hand picked IT's who have a bar pattern most similar to the true ST. There are also other differences between IT and ST such as ST's having a generally more robust body etc. you can find more detailed info. in the Dat stickies. Any true ST for sale is going to be big and between that and their rarity you'll be paying a heck of a lot more than $60 for one.

Geofroniac

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
San Gabriel
Hey guys, I currently own an indonesian datnoid, cost me 30 bucks for around 2 in. I was wondering why Siamese Dats (aka widebar?) are so much more expensive. They look the same to me (minus an extra stripe)? Are people really paying 2-3x the amount for a wider bar? Or do they get a different coloration? I would just like to know why the prices vary so much between the species. Thanks!
U really have to own one or closed up to see the real different bro. I collect dats and I finally own a ST. It's truly more golden color and wide bar straight down and around. Facial is more beak like. U definite see the different.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
ST are very fragile, they have the most tendency of SDS, Sudden Death Syndrome, They said that it's always stable, and yes they're rare. Also they tend to be bigger than other Dats, that's if yours survive being a juvi. Some say that they're hard to rear off to live food also, I don't own one, but a LFS around our place has a 18" ST, and it has a budget destroying price.
How much?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
No, those are not true ST's. There was a lot of debate about these supposed "new baby ST's" when they showed up in the market but the general consensus as far as I know are they are just hand picked IT's who have a bar pattern most similar to the true ST. There are also other differences between IT and ST such as ST's having a generally more robust body etc. you can find more detailed info. in the Dat stickies. Any true ST for sale is going to be big and between that and their rarity you'll be paying a heck of a lot more than $60 for one.[/QUOTE]

OP< what this guy just said.. Enjoy your IT for now if you fall in love with datnoids then do a lot of research and only buy from a reputable dealer if you are looking for an ST, from what i understand ST are nearly extinct so the prices are in the thousands... and because of that there are now mad scams out there with similar colored juvi ITs being sold as CT Mekong and Baby St for exorbitant prices.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store