New House, New Pond?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Hey guys so in a couple of months ill be moving from my tiny apartment to a new house!, the backyard is really big and spacious so i was thinking of setting up a pond im in the north so its gonna be like cold water species like Goldfish and Koi, anyone know any websites or anyone on here with pond building knowledge? i don't wanna spend more than $900, any other coldwater species i could keep that would survive through the winter? i was thinking of catching some local bullheads and keeping them in there would Goldfish and Koi go together with natives? anyone here have similar type pond can you guys post pics. really exited i finally get more space and my own room for my aquariums/reptiles!! :headbang2:D:grinno::grinyes::woot:

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
What size pond will you like to get? A picture of where it will go will be helpful too.

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
A minumum of 300 i was thinking af buying a stock pond and digging it into the back yard
I would do atleast 600 bare min for koi. I would recommend spending a bit of extra money for an 18 foot diameter pond. However, a good quality 600 gallon can cost u 2k bucks.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You could do goldfish in a 300 gal, but even 1 koi is pushing it in pond/stock tank that small. It will also freeze solid to the bottom in winter
The thing about natives, is that you will seldom see them, because they blend in so well with their surroundings, and if the goldfish aren't already large enough, the bullhead will eat them when the opportunity arises.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
You could do goldfish in a 300 gal, but even 1 koi is pushing it in pond/stock tank that small. It will also freeze solid to the bottom in winter
The thing about natives, is that you will seldom see them, because they blend in so well with their surroundings, and if the goldfish aren't already large enough, the bullhead will eat them when the opportunity arises.
600? Mate, 1,5k is the bare minimum.
I would do atleast 600 bare min for koi. I would recommend spending a bit of extra money for an 18 foot diameter pond. However, a good quality 600 gallon can cost u 2k bucks.
Yeah im not doing the koi pond anymore, i gonna be doing a 300 gallon stock pond in the basement instead so i can keep tropicals instead of coldwater, i made a new a thread on it if you guys want o help me out with that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store