An idea i wanted to share w/ MFK

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Ive heard fracking companies have recently started fracking in the Amazon, and Argentina. I dont have the means to do so but someone on here probably does, if you have a biotope of the region post a series of educational videos on youtube about how fracking in the area is going to kill off these beautiful creatures. Everyone who knows anything about fracking knows one of the first things that happens near a well is the water gets poisoned, usually followed up by massive fish die offs.

Hopefully someone can take my idea and run with it! Im sure somebody already has a biotope that is suitable, if multiple people had tanks they could also video and add to a channel that would be great, I hate fracking, it devastates native EVERYTHING. Plants, animals, fish, people, everything. Raising awareness is a good way to get people to sign petitions

Hell it could be from anywhere else in the world people are fracking too, just to show the beauty that those terrible things will kill

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Great idea! My tank isn't a biotope of anywhere otherwise I'd be all over it.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Even if we can compile videos of mostly fish from that area it could help, I plan on starting this up tomorrow, don't know if I'll video my fish, most are from Africa but some are from SA. If someone who has an SA community tank that would be perfect. I know people have some really nice ones on here, hopefully they'll put in the effort to help the fish they love.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've seen some recent papers coming from some bigger schools calling for better treatment of the fracking wastewater due to the high salinity of the runoff. I'm all for fracking because it is so good for our economy and most of the fear mongering surrounding it is just that, fear mongering. However, I do support better treatment of the wastewater. If an entrepreneur is in position to start up, this sounds like a great opportunity.

I hope to do a nice blackwater biotope sometime soon. I'm not sure what i want to do it with though.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I've seen some recent papers coming from some bigger schools calling for better treatment of the fracking wastewater due to the high salinity of the runoff. I'm all for fracking because it is so good for our economy and most of the fear mongering surrounding it is just that, fear mongering. However, I do support better treatment of the wastewater. If an entrepreneur is in position to start up, this sounds like a great opportunity.

I hope to do a nice blackwater biotope sometime soon. I'm not sure what i want to do it with though.
Thank you, Rob. There is a tremendous amount of mis-information out there about fracking. The process, if contained and monitored properly is mostly safe. And it is very important to our economy.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
You guys should sit down and watch Gasland 1 and 2. Tell me how safe you think it is after watching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
You guys should sit down and watch Gasland 1 and 2. Tell me how safe you think it is after watching.

Those movies are nothing but fear mongering and propaganda.

There are articles to show that hydraulic fracturing has a correlation to the incidences of higher concentrations of methane in drinking water, but as any critical mind knows, correlation does not imply causation. There is significant evidence that the drinking water contamination is actually caused by the natural gas wells that are being presented as a 'green' alternative to propane use.

Nestled somewhere in all of the political spin and conflicting agendas surrounding the subject of fracking is the truth. That truth is that it is nowhere near as harmful as it has been presented to be. If you want to know the truth, you're going to need to actually read the scientific documentation and draw your own conclusions.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
That truth is that it is nowhere near as harmful as it has been presented to be.
Perhaps, but is it completely harmless? Doubt it. Is it even necessary? Nope. If half as much was spent on developing and encouraging alternatives to fossil fuels I'm sure we could have weaned ourselves off oil years ago.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Perhaps, but is it completely harmless? Doubt it. Is it even necessary? Nope. If half as much was spent on developing and encouraging alternatives to fossil fuels I'm sure we could have weaned ourselves off oil years ago.
I won't argue that because I agree with it.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise

You know the difference between these movies and a city tour? With the tour you are aware of the agenda in the beginning. These 2 movies are both complete one-sided, fact skewing propaganda. That's like saying, go watch the titanic then see how safe you think cruise ships are!" Why base your opinions on fiction?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store