When a fish is banned - what to do ?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
If a fish becomes banned, what options are available to owners that already have that fish species? Does the grandfather clause apply in every case?

As a M F K I would hate to think that my only legal option would be to put the fish down.

Facts please, no speculation, since that doesn't help any of us.

To give you an example: I have some gars and large catfish that may in the future become banned, seeing how our government works, and would hate to lose them.

Thanks!

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
from what i can remember with snakeheads the owners had to put them down

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Most of them are likely grandfathered if you purchased them before the ban takes effect. Of course the ban doesn't stopping anyone buying an illegal species.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
From what I know which according to my wife isn't much depending on the type of fish ie snake heads need to be put down, because they are killer fish... Now look at the Fly River turtle the owners were grandfathered in, you from my little knowledge can even sell them and bread them you just can not import new ones so what type of fish is going to give you the answer

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
As far as FRTs are concerned, the species is not banned. What is banned is the live trade and importation of the species. Once in a retail purchaser's (end-user) possession, the turtle is considered legal.

When a fish species is banned, it falls to the individual states on determining the disposition of banned species already in possession by retail purchasers. Federal bans also fall to the individual state depts to determine the disposition of banned species within the state. Case in point is the federal ban on snakeheads. Maryland followed the federal edict by banning all large species of SHs. However, the state allowed Maryland residents to retain any dwarf SH species. The stipulation being that no SH species was allowed across state lines (in any direction) (movement across state lines is considered trafficing and falls under federal laws). This prevents new dwarf SH specimens from entering the state or fry bred in captivity from leaving the state.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store