new 17 gallon set-up help

cichlids48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2013
darwin
hi guys. well nothings planned at the moment but am looking at getting a new tank, not sure exactly the size but its around a 17 gallon. i am leaning towards a brichardi cichlid with maybe a few neon tetras. would this be okay. if there are any other suggestions of fish that would suit this please help. thanks.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
With only 17G you'll be limited to keeping smaller community fish or maybe a small predator of some sort...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cichlids48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2013
darwin
sorry guys i just went down and measured it, its actually a 20 gallon. any ideas? i extremely like the electric yellows and i've been told that they are really good fish. i also really like the peacocks. is there any chance i could mix the two, if so how many. my friend has a electric yellow with a male peacock and says that they are fine. what do you all think?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I guess by peacock, you mean peacock bass? If so, im pretty sure you'll need a much larger tank then a 20G to house one for life...

As for the electric yellow? What type of fish is it? Since im wondering if you are talking about a yellow lab chihclid?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Melbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2013
Hawaii
No definitely CANNOT keep both of those fish in a twenty gallon. They will without a doubt kill each other. Maybe you could keep one or the other in a 20 alone, but that would still be a little on the tight side.

Too Many Choices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
Australia
IMO none of these options are going to work. The tank is just too small. Why not look at shell dwelling cichlids? Or South American dwarves?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store