wierd water problem

skrilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
MTL
hey guys

so for the past few months ive noticed my water has been cloudy with tiny white wiggling worms floating about. I know these are apparently harmless and that small fish usually eat them however my 5 RBPs are clearly not going to.

ive been completely cleaning both my eheim canisters every two weeks with 25% WCs but its just not clearing up. There also seems to be a weird brownish substance on the plants( looks like dead worms) that i just shake off and hope the filters catches it. Ive also switched to pellets seeing as how fresh meats may be the cause of these worms. Ive checked for rotten leaves/food/whatever everything seems to be fine

any advice? ive been thoroughly cleaning my tank every week lately and its getting annoying to see no progress.. it also stinks more than it usually does

thanks

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
You're doing it wrong there, cleaning, feeding, wc, almost everything. Go back to the basics of when and how to do maintenance regarding filter cleaning, proper WC, sanitation of what you feed on RBP. The stinking part of the water is a clear sign you're not doing your assignments very well there. I suggest again, go back to the basics...

skrilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
MTL
im not sure what youre trying to say. If i didnt have some grasp of what i was doing my Ps would have died long ago

this is an outbreak, maybe i wasnt clear enough

I clean everything with tank water and i usually dont clean the filters that often

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
I would give everything a really good clean and start doing 25% water changes every day until the issue is resolved. In my experience with piranha a weekly 25% change is not enough

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What size tank? and how big are the fish?
And what do you mean by meat?
for example
If you have 5 X 5" fish in a 50 gal tank, a 50% water change once per week is what I would call minimal, and if by meat, you mean you are feeding terrestrial animal meat, (and probably overfeeding, because fish don't process terrestrial meat well), I would increase those to 2 changes of 50% per week.

skrilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
MTL
5 RBPs about 4 inches long in a 90 gal with 2 eheim 2217s

and i dont over feed

by meat i meant fresh market tilapia that i havent fed since i noticed the worms, so like a month of 2 ago.. now i feed em carnisticks or wtv

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store