Tank size / foot print

lando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
fort st john bc canada
What tank do you guys think is going to be the better choice for my HBRTG and his tank mates for life.

6'L X 3'W X 2'H or 8x2x2

I know bigger Is better and iv been looking into custom tanks. But what would be better the length or over all volume

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davidwy

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2010
Muddybank
If I am forced to choose between these two... I would go for 6x3. Should go for at least 2.5' for tank width.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'd agree with that, though I found my green aro was starting to look too big for it's tank of the same dimensions by the time it got to about 18".
7x2.5x2' would be a good compromise between those two sizes if you can swing it!

Eddie_87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
Malaysia
I'd agree with that, though I found my green aro was starting to look too big for it's tank of the same dimensions by the time it got to about 18".
7x2.5x2' would be a good compromise between those two sizes if you can swing it!
Hi David

I knew u've sold ur green aro quite a while ago, but if I can just check, what was the size of the fish before u let it go? I want to have a better idea on how big my green would eventually grow to, and the best tank dimension to house a few reds & blues.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
It was around 16-18" IIRC but I only had it for about 18 months, I sold it in anticipation of black arowana being imported for the first time in many years, still had plenty of growing to do.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I think that would be a pretty good home for an asian aro, longer would be better but I'd say it is far better than most end up with. Are all the big tanks over there mass-produced somewhere then sold at the LFS, do you not lave local tank makers who make them to order to your specs?

lando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
fort st john bc canada
The closest guy is 7 hours away in Edmonton. So I'd have to go pick it up. So 4 grand for an 8X3 with overflow. And then I have to worry about getting it home! Long drive on crappy northern roads! 6X3 is half the price!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Damn!! Guess that is one of the beauties of a smaller country, we have a guy based two hours away who makes great tanks for very good prices (has a supply of cheap glass offcuts from the factory and just works out of a small shed), and he was happy to travell here to build mine on-site. $4k with overflows for an 8x3' must be using new glass, unless it is considerably taller than the 6x3' which would increase the glass thickness and cost considerably. I just looked up Fort St John on google maps and it does seem like you're a long way from anywhere, so I guess most things like that will cost a bit more than in the big city! Have you considered the DIY option?

IMO 6x3x2' would be better than 8x2x2', there is a bit less swimming space but the aro will have room to do more than just swim left-to-right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store