sponge like pellets

L600

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
MI
Besides Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks, what other pellet food has pellet like texture/consistency?

L600

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
MI
Subbed. I'd like to know this as well. Hopefully the answer is significantly cheaper, too.
Yeah, I just saw the price for the Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks...$17 for 7 oz. Its literally cheaper to use frozen market shrimp/silversides. But yeah I guess ATFs only take food that are spongy and feel like a feeder fish. All my other fish literally inhale their food, so consistency doesn't really matter with them.

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
Yeah, I just saw the price for the Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks...$17 for 7 oz. Its literally cheaper to use frozen market shrimp/silversides. But yeah I guess ATFs only take food that are spongy and feel like a feeder fish. All my other fish literally inhale their food, so consistency doesn't really matter with them.
I'd disagree. It might be easier to convince yourself that your fish will like the proclaimed "sponge" like foods, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I have tried them all and with different types of fish. My ATF actually started eating pellets off of cobalt shrimp pellets, I don't think I need to tell anyone how cheap those are lol.
In the end my ATF practically ignored feeder fish but loved massivore and other pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've always found that they're easier to break with the spongy pellets, but as I'm trying new techniques of pellet training them (I'll post about it in the next day or two), I've found that the type of pellet doesn't really matter.

Using the old teacher fish method, especially as an intermediary step after feeders, the spongy ones do seem to help. I don't think they're absolutely necessary though. After they're on pellets its fairly easy to transition to a different kind of pellet in fact. Max is to the point now that he'll only eat massivore, he won't touch the floating ones.

L600

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
MI
I'd disagree. It might be easier to convince yourself that your fish will like the proclaimed "sponge" like foods, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I have tried them all and with different types of fish. My ATF actually started eating pellets off of cobalt shrimp pellets, I don't think I need to tell anyone how cheap those are lol.
In the end my ATF practically ignored feeder fish but loved massivore and other pellets.

Yeah, I hear massivore is the best there is, but price is still an issue with me. I figure I'm gonna try some Hikari Sinking Cichlid Gold and see how that works out. Day 1 of my ATF not getting feeders, wish me luck!

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Ocean nutrition make a soft pellet with good ingredients and cheap. It's how I pellet trained moray eels. That says a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store