your fishkeeping career

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
just wanted to hear how everyone started fishkeeping and wat happened throughout. ill start with my story. when I was five, my parents got me a small fish bowl filled with guppies plecos and so on. from when I was five to when I was nine I kept other smaller bowls less overstocked, until my uncle upgraded to a 100L tank I got his old 17 gal( about sixty litre) I stocked it with three angels two gouramies one cory two plecs one betta and on kuhli loach. they all(except two plecs) actually lived for almost four years until an incident which left the cory as the sole survivor. I put the 17 gal in storage( still have it) and kept the cory in my uncles 100L and he was cared for there. This was In July, that's when the incident happened. In March I had a bright idea of pushing my tortoise enclosure a foot to the left an set up a small five gallon. I am planning to have a tank of atleast 60G in a year or two, which I want stocked with angels, corys, and geos. thanks for listening ur turn now:)

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
First was a 55 ga w/ a couple senegals and leopard ctenopoma, if you wanna count real 1st fish was a goldfish from the fair haha, i eventually put him in a ten ga w/ filtration air bubbler but my cat got to him, as in feline haha. Now the cats know itll be more of a problem for them then for the fish if they stick their paws in.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
When I was 5, my mom got me one of those little black feeder goldfish that I kept in a bowl and named Henry, after my best friend at the time.

I wake up one morning, and my mom says, "Ben, I have some bad news. Henry is dead."

Assuming she meant my friend, I was inconsolable. I cried for hours and hours until at one point, flustered, she said, "Honey, I understand why you're upset, but it's just a fish. We can get another."

"Oh, that Henry!" I replied, immediately stopping my sobbing.

I guess that's how I started?

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
When I was 5, my mom got me one of those little black feeder goldfish that I kept in a bowl and named Henry, after my best friend at the time.

I wake up one morning, and my mom says, "Ben, I have some bad news. Henry is dead."

Assuming she meant my friend, I was inconsolable. I cried for hours and hours until at one point, flustered, she said, "Honey, I understand why you're upset, but it's just a fish. We can get another."

"Oh, that Henry!" I replied, immediately stopping my sobbing.

I guess that's how I started?
haha nice story. I really got interested in fishkeeping when I was watching an estate agent show and one of the potential buyers had a five foot tank. I was wowed. that was when I was young.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
haha nice story. I really got interested in fishkeeping when I was watching an estate agent show and one of the potential buyers had a five foot tank. I was wowed. that was when I was young.
The tank that made me want to make them was a tank setup at the erie county fair a super long time ago. I dont recall specific specie, but there was multiple gar, trout and some sort of pike specie in a HUGE tank. Like twice as tall as i was and like 10 feet long. I was like ten so i think it was like 8 feet tall. I didnt wanna walk away from it haha

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Well ill play !

I originally kept reptiles. Large snakes and monitor lizards. Had a friend into fish big time... Super into Africans, could see and name them all in Latin names haha... I finally decreased my reptiles to 1. The work load was to much. My friend/roommate suggested I get a fish tank... He had a 75 gal in his room. I said ok and first tank I got was a used 90 we made a sweet American cichlid tank out of.. I said I want bigger, got a 125 sold 90... then I wanted bigger sold 125 got 180.... Fresh was to easy made it salt... Finished school, came home rents did not like the idea of a giant fish tank... sold tank... Now I have a 75 that will be a planted SA cichlid tank... When I move out I will be getting hopefully a 180 or bigger again... I like fish, drop a lil food in and 10 min of work once a week... hours of enjoyment to look at... Great thing to have... Also my dog likes watching them.

I love being able to research and learn everything I can about them... I have been really diving into long distance rifle shooting (800 yards and farther) So much fun !

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
my friend BEN was taking care of his teammates (ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY GOLF TEAM) fish , while they were out of town playing summer tounaments,, and I tagged along and got hooked watching a jd in a 4 ft. tank:popcorn:

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Was always meant to have fish.dad had tanks since before I was born and I was always fascinated by fish.started at like 14 with ten gallon with a horrible stock which consisted of gold gourami, 1 tiger barn, pictus Pim,and a Molly. Things died and I quickly learned.since then have had communities,large solo cichlids, breeding pairs and multiple tanks.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

camtang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2013
Nelson New Zealand
I was given a neglected turtle by a mate who had rescuded it but had no room for it. It came with a couple of feeder Kribs, and some guppies. I very soon enjoyed watching the fish so got a tank set up for them and rescued them from the turtle. From there it started

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Started with a little pictus cat in a less than gallon bowl and it zoomed all over the place obviously because it had no room. Then upgraded to a 55 where I poorly kept a variety of different fish that usually died in a few months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store