Snail control Ideas

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I have a 50g pleco tank that I over feed intentionally. As result I have had a huge snail bloom. Water quality and maintenance are great. Looking for snail control suggestions that I have not thought of yet. I will not add chemicals, I am going to start catching them for a friends puffer and CLs. I am not willing to add amazon puffers or any fish that should be kept in groups. Thanks for suggestions

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I have spoken to people that keep them and have heard stories of assassin snails getting out of control. Though they are really cool little snails

They breed WAY slower... I think i have some with the uaru...

Jackson

Piranha
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto
Self cloning/ marbled cray fish eat snails and do a great job at it.

Assasins in the right conditions like an over fed tank can be just as bad as pest snails.

Some around here give them away for free

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Self cloning/ marbled cray fish eat snails and do a great job at it.

Assasins in the right conditions like an over fed tank can be just as bad as pest snails.

Some around here give them away for free

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
the crayfish is an interesting idea

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One Madagascan cichlid of the genus Paretroplus can bring down a snail population to almost nil in 24-36 hours, in nature snails are their prefered food. They crush small snails, and have 2 can opener like teeth to extract the flesh from large snails.

above is Paretroplus maculatus, below P menerambo (menerambo gets too large for a 55), maculatus would be a better choice, as would be P kieneri.

kieneri below

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store