Heat-less pumps?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
This is similar to a thread just below but I did not want to hijack and my needs are a little different than in the other thread.

I'm looking for a reliable pump that produces less heat than a mag-drive.

I'm currently running a mag drive and a rio on my smaller tank. Both are pushing water up a good distance above their respective water level, so they need to be pressure rated (I think?) but don't need to be insanely powerful.

Efficiency and cost are not a huge issue, as I'm spending a ton of money cooling my enclosures and apartment because of the water levels heating up so high from the pumps.

I remember there was an italian brand at the Konvention that people were saying is good.

Thanks!

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
On paper Lagunas. In practice, Quiet ones will be more efficient too, but Laguna's still seem t be the most efficient. Time will tell how reliable they are, but so far they look like the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Efficiency and cost are not a huge issue, as I'm spending a ton of money cooling my enclosures and apartment because of the water levels heating up so high from the pumps.
If you're looking for less heat production then efficiency should be your primary concern as all the energy that isn't moving water is producing heat.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
If you are able to reconfigure so that you are using an air-cooled external pump it would be ideal, otherwise a more efficient pump will always produce less heat.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Thanks all, the efficiency to heat ratio makes sense. My point is that my concerns are not economic ones.

Anybody remember that Italian brand from the con?

I'm really looking for the absolute best.

I know nothing about externals, does anybody have a link to start with? I might have room for one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I recently bought a DC powered pump. 1365GPH @40 W. Very little head loss. I guess they are real popular in the reef hobby. It was only $20 more then a Laguna that pumped less at the same head. Just Google DC aquarium pump and do the research for what you need.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Sicce is a pump manufacturer out of Italy. (http://sicceus.com/index.html) Is that the company you were talking about?

As was mentioned, an air cooled external pump is going to result in less heat transfer than a submersible. What type of flow are you looking to achieve and at what head? Or if you are not sure, what model Mag and Rio are you currently running and how high are they pushing water?

As others have mentioned, an efficient pump like a Laguna is going result in less heat transfer per GPH flow, but if reducing heat transfer is your first priority, an external pump would be best. The proper way to set one up is to drill your sump, so that may be opening another can of worms (although, pretty easy to do if your sump is acrylic).

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Sump is acrylic, and I bet my LFS would happily do it for me.

I will do a bit more research from this, thanks all!

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Sump is acrylic, and I bet my LFS would happily do it for me.

I will do a bit more research from this, thanks all!

Iwaki makes extremely reliable pumps that transfer very little heat. They aren't terribly quiet, though. :irked: I have a couple that have been in continuous operation for about fifteen years.

Reeflo has good reviews as well, but if heat is your main concern stay away from the Blowhole series. They are not air cooled and transfer a fair bit of heat to the water, especially at the high-speed setting.

A lot of pumps such as Quiet Ones and Mag-Drives can be used in-line (not submerged). They will transfer less heat than if submerged because some of the heat will dissipate into the air, but they still add quite a bit of heat to the water. A pump with an air-cooled motor and a separate pump-head will add the least heat to the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store