Will My Sump Be Powerful Enough?

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Reeflo Hammerhead?

What type of head pressure will your system have? Unless you are going to locate the sump in a basement and your tank 20' above it (upstairs) or you are running a sand filter this pump is going to be crazy overkill for a 180G.

Hammerhead.png

Hammerhead.png

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
To (mis)quote an old saying; it's not the size of the sump, it's the amount of media in it that counts! ;)

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
im actually going to have it rite under my tank the guy i got it from had it set up like that and set it worked so good......i thought you could never have enough filtration should i sell the hammer head and get a smaller water pump?

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
im actually going to have it rite under my tank the guy i got it from had it set up like that and set it worked so good......i thought you could never have enough filtration should i sell the hammer head and get a smaller water pump?
I guess it depends on the fish you intend to go with, but 5500gph is an INSANE amount of flow to have in a 6' tank.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
i thought you could never have enough filtration should i sell the hammer head and get a smaller water pump?
Flow doesn't equal filtration. ;)

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
Flow doesn't equal filtration. ;)
so in your opinion should i get a smaller pump? the sump is a 90 gallon with 5 different chambers just depends] on what media i want to get the guy had it set up for salt water so i am going to get all new media,,,,,,,,and also what media shoud i get? sorry for all the questons but i never dealt with a sump filtration set up before just looking for it to be set up the best it can be........thanks guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store