stepping into darkness

Dial92

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2012
Effingham, IL
ok im stepping into the darkside of fish keeping for the first time. i have rwellbaum that has kept salt water before but as for me i have alot to learn. im in the middle of trading my jetski for a 72 gallon bowfront with lots of corals and live rock. comes with top of the line lighting and a 30 gallon sump also with lights. fish are clowns and snails and a few others i can not remember off hand. anyway i was wondering after doing research everyone is RO water this and RO water that can i use fresh water and add marine salt or what and Also included in the sale is a Reverse Osmosis set u.how does that work. well i need to learn so some one tell me what i need to know so i am no longer ignorant. thank you

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
To be quite honest and I'm really not trying' to harsh your mellow or messy up your day - corals are not for beginners you will more than likely kill them thru your learning process. With sw fish R/O water isn't quite as important, it will stop a lot of nuisance stuff but dechlorinated tap won't harm the fish. With corals, clams, and shell fish R/O is highly recommended. Tap water for inverts generally contains unlivable levels of phosphates and heavy metals. IMO it would be good husbandry to sell off the corals as you learn to care for SW life - fish are far more forgiving and the learning process for coral reefs is vast.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Good to hear. You will have a learning curve but getting a setup that has already been going and someone that can tell you a bit will help. Its not as hard as people make it out to be. Use ro water though. Your getting an ro water filter set which is great. Its just highly filtered water that you then add your salt mix to make pure salt water. Good luck with it all.

Sent from Note 2 mini computer

rwellbaum

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
USA
I have complete confidence in you Brandon!
:popcorn:

Here are a couple of pictures from the Craigslist add
00y0y_48YS0u3EzNC_600x450.jpg
00K0K_carPSuk7S5O_600x450.jpg
01313_jGu9Rdpcsb7_50x50c.jpg
01717_f7wo77iDNwe_600x450.jpg
00k0k_anKDIKi1Byr_600x450.jpg
72 Gallon bow front fish tank and stand. Very good condition. Complete. Comes with all coral, fish, live rock, three jet pumps, skimmer, sump, etc. Less than a year old 48 inch T5 light. 6 bulb fixture. 20 moonlights. Comes with all miscellaneous tidbits that have accumulated over the years (fish food, fish medicine, calcium, etc.) Used to have a mated pair of clowns in this tank. If wanted, we will throw in all the fish breeding supplies we bought to breed the clowns.

Also included in the sale is a Reverse Osmosis set up currently in the basement we use to add water to the tank and do water changes. Very convenient. No more getting water from the store and hauling containers all over the place.

Has ten different types of corals, 4 fish (two clowns - one black, one snowflake, purple tang, one anthia), and a few snails.
00y0y_48YS0u3EzNC_600x450.jpg

00K0K_carPSuk7S5O_600x450.jpg

01313_jGu9Rdpcsb7_50x50c.jpg

01717_f7wo77iDNwe_600x450.jpg

00k0k_anKDIKi1Byr_600x450.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Imo its easier to start with a clean slate rather than try and move an existing setup. Ur best bet may be to put all the corals in a tub for a few weeks with light while u tear everything down and reset it all up. If u just try and move everything all at once ur asking for a meltdown. It can be done but just be smart about it, let the tank cycle for a good 2 weeks after u move it before u add the coral back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Imo its easier to start with a clean slate rather than try and move an existing setup.
Find out what's on that sand, that tank looks like its been neglected. To start clean is some good advice. Just sell the jetski and set the tank up to your liking. If you do get it see if IThe will come over and set it up. If you never had saltwater before I will start fresh and added a little at a time. You don't want to overwhelm yourself when you start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store