WHY is my fish tank / aquarium water green and cloudy?!?

jeckunion1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
delhi
ah, i think it might be because of overcrowding the tank... or idk.

Well, ive got a 20L tank. small, yes i know. I have 2 algae eaters, and 4 guppies (at the moment). crowded? yes i think so! (my mother bought the fish not me -.-)

okay, so before i used to have 2 guppies and 2 algaes. we bought another guppy, but i think it brought back a disease because it killed all my guppies! the algaes were tough though, but you could see it having an effect on them (lack of movement, colour fading).
so the diseased guppy died, and i bought aquarium salt to cure the algaes. you could instantly see the difference after a week (more lively, colouring brought back, etc.)
When we bought the aquarium salt, we also bought a new filter. i had rinsed the filter under running water before installing it.
Sooo I did the normal water change (50%), added the aquarium salt, installed filter...
And then the week after, my mother bought 4 new guppies (male)
And 3-4 days later the water started getting cloudy...
7 days later, you can really see the water getting greeny. I did a bit of a water change (20%), and the tank water was clearer, for a while.
2 days after that (now), the tank water is REALLY green and cloudy.

Could it be because of overpopulation? or maybe the filter isnt working, or something...?

Please tell me what i can do to solve this!

By the way, the fish are acting normally, as if nothing has changed o_O

thank you
Wedding Planners in Delhi

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Firstly when you say 20L do you mean a 20G long or a 20 liter tank?

Also, it sounds like your tank never cycled properly... (Look up nitrogen cycle on here, plenty of posts about it)

Last question, do you have any lighting on this tank, and what are your feeding and cleaning schedules like on this tank? Since i presume you do not have a freshwater test kit?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Curtis Rouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2012
Central California
Also, it sounds like your tank never cycled properly... (Look up nitrogen cycle on here, plenty of posts about it)
This is most likely the culprit. If you changed out your filter you removed all your bb when you removed the old filter.

Since you're from Delhi I'm presuming you mean 20 liter which would be 5 gallons. That's not too overcrowded but I definitely wouldn't add any more fish.

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store