Thoughts on mixing labidochromis sp

KevinH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2012
New Jersey
I'm getting mixed input on this, and will probably continue in this thread lol, but what ate your thoughts on mixing yellow labs with hongi?

Sent from my C5170 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

raj914

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
Philippines
I don't see any reason why you cant mix them apart from crossbreeding if that's what you are trying to avoid then I suggest that you dont.

KevinH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2012
New Jersey
I forgot to mention that, yes I'm trying to avoid hybrids, some people say they won't bc they look different and others say they will bc same sp, and others say 50/50 chance, I know the best way to avoid it is not to put them together, but do these other peoples advice hold water?

raj914

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
Philippines
I forgot to mention that, yes I'm trying to avoid hybrids, some people say they won't bc they look different and others say they will bc same sp, and others say 50/50 chance, I know the best way to avoid it is not to put them together, but do these other peoples advice hold water?

Then I suggest that you dont because Malawi Cichlids are very well known to crossbreed. I would prefer a school of yellow labs :)

urs4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
central mass.
In my experience if they have a partner in the tank they will usually breed with them. given you don't have fish that look alike.

It's when you have a rogue M/F then you will have issues.

Steve

Mikehcfc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2009
Hull Uk
Go for it.Why not?Any malawi cichlid will crossbread with any other if the chance orizes it just doesnt come down to genus.If we all worried that much we would all be keeping single species tanks.Just keep an eye on breeding activity and you will not go far wrong

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Labs are the one of the most likely to hybridize in my experience. They will spawn with anything that moves.

That said, if you want a community tank, go for it. As I said in another thread, remove hiding spaces for fry (like holey rock) and add a synodontis to help eat the fry..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store