facebook fish pages

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
anyone ever have any problems givng advice on facebook fish pages? i seem to.. all the advice i give, they get smacked right back into my face... i get yelled at and sometimes banned, all the advice i give to others on there is advice i get from here, what i learned from this site........... so anyone else have any problems like i do?

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
No, I try to stay away from most fb fish pages. I was subscribed to one ("cichlid keepers" or something like that) but there was way too much drama so I quit following it.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I'm subscribed with buy/sell pages as well, private vendors, well there are facebook pages acting as a forum, but I just don't know why... I don't want to give names but most of the people over the facebook page I'm participating in, has no clue on husbandry, and for the dreaded 75g... I must admit, it's the biggest tank for every fish that can be told, from arowanas, micro channa, gar, rtc's... most are even in argument mode just to defend their thing, "we're right on this, what do you know?".

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Most of the Facebook pages I belong to are mostly for rays. Never any arguing on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
What is Facebook? ...

In all seriousness, I try to stay away from that site at all times; too many keyboard cowboys on there that are too proud admit that they don't know what they are talking about 99% of the time, regardless of the subject.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
What is Facebook? ...

In all seriousness, I try to stay away from that site at all times; too many keyboard cowboys on there that are too proud admit that they don't know what they are talking about 99% of the time, regardless of the subject.
I totally agree...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
This.

Or, people who DERP and are proud to DERP as hard as they can. If you challenge either their ability to DERP or to propagate their DERP into others, they tend to RAGE.

Facebook fish pages tend to be the last bastion of people who can't cut it on a real forum because they get called out and discredited. So they run off and spread their ignorance as much as they can in a vain effort to look like they know what they're doing.

Vendor pages and some blogs exempted of course, but the above is true for the vast majority.

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
oh trust me, i have told them straight out, well one post i have given my advice countless times, one has an oscar in a 29 gallon for a year and its only......... 6 inches? told her its stunted and she needs atleast a 75 for ONE oscar alone, she said she will work on it,but i mean COME ON, 6 inch oscar in a 29 gallon ( could even be a 20 gallon, she didnt give exact dimensions ) if you were to upgrade, you would have done it by now, but she says shes having money trouble, so i told her she needs to get rid of the oscar... .she kept fidgeting with me..... and then many OTHER members got on my ( excuse my french ) ass........... told me to quit, if they want advice they will ask, well told them, whether they want it or not, they will get it.... and told them, if you guys think I AM harsh on advice when you dont listen, try sites like MFK.......... members on MFK dont tolerate stuff like that, is what i told them lol..

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
There are some very good ones out there (and yes, plenty of not so good ones too!). I've been following Heiko Bleher for some time now and he posts some very interesting stuff from time to time. This is another of my favourites; https://www.facebook.com/ivan.mikolji?ref=ts&fref=ts Great if you're into seeing Amazonian species in their habitat.

I also follow a few of the vendor pages, just to keep me jealous of what is available elsewhere, Glaser from Germany and Rare Aquatics are a couple of good ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store