Help with aquarium salt!

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I know stupid question but I'd rather ask anyway lol. Never had to use it but now I need too. Do I just dump it in there?? I can pour it in my hob but does it dissolve away after a while or do I need to take it out? Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
It will dissolve on it's own. Some people pre dilute it in a bucket first but I usually just dump it in. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Never had a problem that way

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I just dump it in and let it dissolve in the water. The safe way will be to pre mix it with water and then dump it in. Some fish are sensitive to contact with direct salt. As water evaporates the salt will remain. You should only add salt for the amount of water you took out. The salt will disolve in the water so there is no removing it,

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Yeah I've never used it before but my total system is around 280 gallons with the sump. My cichla has a little wound on its lip from like choking on a piece of massivore lol. Ill just dilute it and dump into the sump. I only bought a small pack treats like 107 gallons or something

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'm a dumper.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
The directions were quite vague Sweet thanks everyone. A dumb question is one you don't ask I guess.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
No need to dilute it just dump it in the sump. The water pump won't carry it up. If it does it will disolve before reaching the top.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'm not a fan fullstop. I think with clean warm water you'll find your cichlas lip heals up well without salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store