STRONG Electricity in Water - No Effect on Fish?

fishyman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
Singapore
I was electrocuted when I dipped my hand into my aquarium about a week ago. Result was having a nasty electric shock which, I guessed, temporarily damaged the nerves in my hand as I felt pain for a whole day and had some difficulty in getting to sleep due to the pain (although not very strong pain). My internal UV filter was faulty and somehow that must be it! Tested with a test pen for 100V to 250V AC and it lit up as shown in the video below:

[video=youtube;IYtEBgUi2UI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYtEBgUi2UI[/video]

Strange thing is that the fish (arowana) in the tank is behaving normally, as if there is no electricity in the water. How is this possible? Has anyone encountered this before?

NOTE: The faulty filter is removed and now the water is safe to dip again.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
yup,

I believe fish are not grounded so they are not affected. I once had a current running through my 150 and only figured out the bad accessory by unplugging each one and testing with my hand!!!!

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
By you sticking your hand in the tank you made the current go to ground which gave you a shock. And said before the fish arent grounded so the electricity doesnt flow through them but i think the stray electricity can hurt a fish through its lateral line but im not sure

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with F1Vet and the others, I run the titanium probes in my tanks and they help prevent shocks. An inexpensive way to save nerve damage, and in extreme cases, heart failure.
Other causes of stray voltage can be a cracked heater, a shorting pump, and/or even badly situated light fixtures.
And even though the stray voltage doesn't shock the fish, it creates stress which can lead to disease outbreaks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store