Need advice on white sea bass

Pontis Lebowski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2012
Under Water Bolling Lane
Hello everyone. I've been in the hobby for about 5 years now but never done salt. Recently I was asked to help set up and care for a 300 gal salt water set up. Wee will be raising white sea bass. They will arrive at about 3". We grow them for a school year and then release them.

So all the equipment has already been purchased. I checked it out on line and most of the far seems high quality. Huge bio reactor, 1hp Chiler, and large protine skimmer.

So I've been poking around the site and can't find any info on white sea bass. Anyone able to help?

Any advice on my switch to salt water? Good threads for basic fish only salt water set ups.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jacunaba

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2012
The Land of Big Tanks
Bad idea to release tank raised fish on many levels.
they will be moved to a pen more likely. White seabass have proven to prosper after being released from tanks and growout pens. It's actually quite an amazing story down err in SoCal. These fish were dam near near gone before breeding projects took place.

Take a look at some of this OP
http://www.cbsg.org/sites/cbsg.org/files/2013_AM/Aquarium white sea bass & cichlid publications.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It's not the bass I'm worried about. Releasing tank raised animals (of any kind) into the wild - even in a pen, in the wild, where wild animals are exposed) is not a good idea at all. Too much risk of infection, etc.

Pontis Lebowski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2012
Under Water Bolling Lane
The white sea bass project has been going on for a while. A college in san diego has brought the population back. I'm sure its headed by some really smart marine biologest. If desease was a big problem i don't think is would still be running.

What deseases do I need to look out for?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store