What's wrong with my NTT?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I'll preface this, as I frequently do, by saying I'm no expert.

But it looks to me like it's partially paralyzed or something. Like maybe it suffered a spinal or head injury, and simply can't move the way it used to. It sort of swims like a person who's had a stroke.

Again, I can't be sure, but it looks like spinal/nervous damage to me.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
It just randomly started this about 2 hours ago for no reason and hasn't stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Agree. He's still alive and he goes normal for a while and swims and eats fine then randomly out of no where loses balance and just does somersaults I don't get it?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It could be a swim bladder injury or infection.

rdhfreethought

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
United States
^ this.
I am only a human doc, and not a vet. But to swim like that you need a loss of orientation. Either at the source (balance/input, swim bladder etc) the pathway (nerves/infection/injury), or the controller (brain/infection/injury). In humans a simple virus can cause it, and that can be temporary. Or, cancer. A course of antibiotics might not hurt, I would definitely move him to the sick tank. At the minimum, the other fish might take the opportunity to beat him up.

Carpsalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Oregon
Hopefully this is not the case: I had a few ntts thru the years do this, nothing helped eventually they get malnourished from the inability to eat. Then the slowly die. Hopefully yours pulls thru.... Mine didn't.

pbass510

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
Bay Area
at this stage its SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome) happens to ntt`s and I hate it because this is how mines died randomly.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Well he's still alive gonna try to feed again tonight. Water is pristine n no other fish is picking on him added aquarium salt. Right now he's swimming fine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store