Some Aggression Advice Please

trustemedia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
Need some advice on the best thing to do for now and for the long run. My Xenotilapia Ochrogenys Ndole Bay wants a female badly and courts her to the point of even chasing her when she snubs him. He pretty much is not letting anyone else even near the sand in the entire tank expect himself and the female he has taken a liking to. He chases everyone onto ledges, behind rock piles, and even searches them out behind rock piles, just to nip, chase, and harrass them some more on purpose. He's being a little sh*t.

I have 30 gallon sitting empty right now. I am torn between whether I should remove him and her and put them into the 30 for awhile and see what happens, removing the breeding pair, the aggression, and maybe getting the spawn to happen when they are alone and then things will settle down. Or I have a group of shellies in the corner of the tank and I could put the entire shellie group into the 30 freeing up that corner of the tank which opens up more sand and room for more rocks and hiding places for the those being chased.

On one hand I feel moving the shellies doesn't stop the aggression in the tank, but does provide more hiding places, room, and the shellies may need to be moved when they get bigger and more territorial? Maybe? On the other hand, if I move the male and female aggressors (she was actually chasing other fish today as well), will another one become the dominant one of the tank and I'm back to square one with a chaser "in heat".

Suggestions?

trustemedia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
Sorry - you can't read above>

Here:

Need some advice on the best thing to do for now and for the long run. My Xenotilapia Ochrogenys Ndole Bay wants a female badly and courts her to the point of even chasing her when she snubs him. He pretty much is not letting anyone else even near the sand in the entire tank expect himself and the female he has taken a liking to. He chases everyone onto ledges, behind rock piles, and even searches them out behind rock piles, just to nip, chase, and harrass them some more on purpose. He's being a little sh*t.

I have 30 gallon sitting empty right now. I am torn between whether I should remove him and her and put them into the 30 for awhile and see what happens, removing the breeding pair, the aggression, and maybe getting the spawn to happen when they are alone and then things will settle down. Or I have a group of shellies in the corner of the tank and I could put the entire shellie group into the 30 freeing up that corner of the tank which opens up more sand and room for more rocks and hiding places for the those being chased.

On one hand I feel moving the shellies doesn't stop the aggression in the tank, but does provide more hiding places, room, and the shellies may need to be moved when they get bigger and more territorial? Maybe? On the other hand, if I move the male and female aggressors (she was actually chasing other fish today as well), will another one become the dominant one of the tank and I'm back to square one with a chaser "in heat".

Suggestions?

trustemedia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
Unfortunately, I didn't receive any advice, so I went ahead and did what I thought would be best, which turned out to be a total disaster. I removed the male and female aggressors. They were miserable. A new male became the dominant one and harassed everyone in the tank worse. I put the male and female back to the main tank and a fight for dominance ensued that lasted over 10 minutes and toward the end every male got in on it while the 1st two were tired. I ended up just segmenting my sand floor into 4 sections with rock and plants to break up more line of sight and allow more fish to sand sift without seeing each other. Seems to be working so far. I feel terrible, but I didn't know... For anyone out there needing this advice, I do not recommend removing your fish (unless its killing other fish or something, of course). Just what happened to me. Live and learn on your own, I guess. Sucked, but they are back to normal now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store