Building our business

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
About 6 years ago my wife boudgt a 150g tank to show me how to take care of an aquarium. Sice then it has expanded into 95 tanks and a small business. We are breeding and selling all sorts of fish not so common to the fish stores. However we have ran into a small hurdle which is where and how to buy quality bulk fish food.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Check Ken's Fish (USA) and see if he ships to Canada - his prices are fantastic and he has a lot of different foods.
Kudos to you, for creating your own business out of this! What do you breed / sell ?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
You also could check with local aquaculture / fish labs / hatcheries - or go straight to the source - wholesale bulk fish food - I'm sure a few minutes of googling would yield results.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
The trouble is a lot of the bulk producers don't have clearance into Canada. This due to health regs people may eat the fish they feed the food to. We were told to try trout pellets but were also told they weren't the best. May come down to obtaining an importers license.
As for fish we breed we have pure midas not the cross breds,3 varieties of frontosa,9 varieties of peacocks,fenustas,7 strains of guppies,peacock gudgeons,3 varieties of julidchromis,3 varieties of tropheus, and more I can't remember right now. Would be nice to be able to ship to the US but were told it is a nightmare for shipper and buyer.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What about producing your own fish food?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Are you telling us there are NO fish hatcheries or fish supply / food wholesalers in Canada ?

I just googled and in 10 seconds, found several distributors of fish foods in Canada.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
We have googled these suppliers trouble is when you start looking into their pricing not much cheaper if any than retail stores. We have a supplier in California but ordering borders on illegal to get it shipped to us. As I mentioned about the health regulations. We can get this food for about 6 dollars a pound delivered but we could end up in a huge pile of trouble. 6 to 7 dollars a pound would be a reasonable price but very hard to find good quality food for that price in Canada. Another thig some of you may not realize is how the exchange rate kills us.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store