Sick Jardini Arowana...add salt?

rdhfreethought

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
United States
Hey folks. I have a sick Jardini arowana. He is about 24". he got infected from some feeder goldfish I bought, as I was going to be gone for a while and didn't have a fish sitter.
It was hard to diagnose him at first, tried Maracyn 1/2 and API fungal cure. The fungal cure worked a bit, but in the end, it appears he has hookworms. I am using API General Cure, which is an anti-parasite (metronidazole and praziquantel).

My LFS folks told me two different things. One said to use a towel and take him out of the water and manually remove the parasites as much as possible. I have done this a few times, and it is working pretty well. Such a strange thing to take a fish out and 'scrub' them down, sort of like a fish "taking a bath".

The second thing one of them said was to add salt to the water. He didn't know specifics for arowana's, but he said adding up to 1.010 was ok for freshwater fishes, but above that would be hard to tolerate unless they were a brackish species.

I am curious if any of you have added salt to arowana tank when during a sickness, and if so, how much do think is best to add. Any other advise would be great.

Thanks!!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
General rule of thumb is one tablespoon per 5 gallons. I don't know if that is enough for parasites, though. If you want to go the salt route, and I see nothing wrong with it, I would try a salt bath. 1 lb of salt per 10 gallons water. No more than 60 minutes. Remove the fish if it starts showing signs of distress.

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
I have dosed my tank with salt which has a Jardini in it with 1 tablespoon salt to 15l of water (under 4g for you american folk) when treating some infection on my barra with no hassles at all, and that was over 4 or 5 days. Jardini are pretty salt tolerant as are most of other species, just not scaleles species.

baji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai, India
Treate the whole tank, filter and gravels with potassium permanganate... google it before adding it to the tank... overdose can kill ur fish... cheap and 100% effective against parasites and its eggs...

Monster Fish Keeper...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store