HBRTG

edwinc88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
India
Just sharing my cousin's 2 year old High Back from Bukit merah golden arowana farm.
Got it on August 2011, current size 22-23 inches, eats only prawns.
Kept in temporary tank now as we r making its new diy 6x2x2 ft tank.
thnx for watching

[video=youtube;LafwC3E806Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LafwC3E806Y[/video]

rdhfreethought

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
United States
If you are making a custom tank, I would highly recommend a deeper tank. My arowana essentially outgrew the 100gal (18 inch deep) when he was about 14-16 inches. I think a general rule of thumb would be the depth should be 1.5 the length of the fish. So a 30-36 inch deep tank would be best for your 24". If weight is an issue, I would highly recommend a corner tank. Mine did much better in the 90gallon corner tank than the 100gal 6ft tank. If you are making a custom tank, it should be easy to do a corner, or other type of deep tank.

edwinc88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
India
If you are making a custom tank, I would highly recommend a deeper tank. My arowana essentially outgrew the 100gal (18 inch deep) when he was about 14-16 inches. I think a general rule of thumb would be the depth should be 1.5 the length of the fish. So a 30-36 inch deep tank would be best for your 24". If weight is an issue, I would highly recommend a corner tank. Mine did much better in the 90gallon corner tank than the 100gal 6ft tank. If you are making a custom tank, it should be easy to do a corner, or other type of deep tank.
Ty for ur suggestion mate :)
Well as far as i know, Asian arowanas r mostly middle to surface level swimming fish so depth is not an issue for them unless ur keeping loads of tankmates like Gars,rtc,tigers, etc...who r bottom to middle level dwellers.
2 feet is enough height for them and the depth shouldn't be 1.5x the length of the aro , the width should be at least 1.5-2x the length of the aro so it can turn around easily...Im considering of making the width a little more to 2.5feet so he can turn around easily.so say 6x2.5x2. Tis tank is a temporary tank thats why he is mostly staying at the bottom but in his previous growing tank(which is currently housing a juv xb) was 4x2x2 tank and he never actually went down below the 1.5ft level depth,i.e, he was always swimming above the 1.5 ft level mark on the 2 feet depth tank :)

What do u mean that ur 6ft tank was 100g? Maybe it was a 6x1.5x1.5 dimension tank? If thats the case then yes the width is too small for ur aro which is already 14-15 inches in length :) For aros, length and width matter the most, depth should at least be around 2 ft but thats more than enough for an asian aro to live a lifetime \m/

Will update when the tank is ready and the resident has been shifted there.:)

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
how did you obtain an arowana? YOU'RE IN THE USA. :nilly:arowana's have no 'freedom' in USA, yet? I hope yet comes in...

edwinc88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
India
how did you obtain an arowana? YOU'RE IN THE USA. :nilly:arowana's have no 'freedom' in USA, yet? I hope yet comes in...
Bro E.C., rdh bro must be having a Silver arowana....There is no restriction from CITES when it comes to Silver Arowana and Jardini(Australian). Only Asian Arowanas such as Green,Red and the different variants of gold arowanas are protected under CITES. People in the USA can easily get hold of silver arowanas and jardinis :)
Hope i cleared ur doubt :D

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
2 feet is enough height for them and the depth shouldn't be 1.5x the length of the aro , the width should be at least 1.5-2x the length of the aro so it can turn around easily.
The word "depth" is often used to describe the front-to-back measurement (aka width) of a tank. It is just another peculiarity of the English language, unfortunately, and I always use width rather than depth to avoid any confusion.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Beautiful beast.

By deeper tank RDH meant width not height.
If you can stretch the width on the custom make then it will be good. A 8*3*2 is proportionate tank for the adults IMO.
Keep us posted on your build.

Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store