Thinking about koi

Sizzlahr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
indianapolis
Hello I have a 110 gallon tub that I thought about growing out a few koi to sell next spring or summer for ponds.

How many koi would you put in the tub?
Is there any money in growing koi?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Big Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary
It depends on the grade of Koi. The koi classified as "American Koi" don't sell for much. Premium Japanese Koi is a totally different beast. There is a huge difference in price between a 4" Koi and a 10-12"Koi. Personally I can't justify the dollar difference and always buy 4-5". Do your research first. Koi are not as tough as Comets and Goldfish. I got some beautiful Koi from Israel this year of all places. My guess if you grow up some Koi you will be hard pressed to sell them as you will fall in love with them, haha.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Have you seen a gigantic koi? Lik a 4-5feet koi, you'll be surprised if you see one. Happy Koi hunting. :nilly:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You could probably grow out 3 or 4 koi if you started with small ones.
I started last fall with a 2"-3" koi about a year ago, and grew it out in a 500 gallon pond.
This is that koi at the end of this summer, it is now about 12".

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
You can put at least 10 in if you are going to sell them next spring. If you don't use a heater they will be in hibernation mode and there growth will be slow. You should also feed them alot less when the tempeture drops. Spring is only 6 months away. You are also not going to make any money selling them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store