Don't know much about sponge filters... Couple questions...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Starting to put together pieces on my 40 breeder, as some of you may have seen in my other posts... Got lighting, and substrate pretty much squared away... Filtration I've got a couple questions about...

I'm going to start it as a shrimp-only tank until My plants get good and established the way I want them... I found a decent deal on 4 of the double sponge filters on Fleabay, and I know how they work, but that's about it... When I add fish later, I may switch to HoB filters (probably dual AquaClear 50s), or if the sponge seems to work fine, just leave them in.

Thoughts/questions:
1. Tank has left side and back to the wall, thinking about putting two sponge filters on the left glass, two on the back glass. Would this be good, or would I be better off with all 4 across the back wall? Does it matter?

2. Would they be better running off a single output air pump and 4-gang valve, or a dual output pump with two 2-gang valves? Does it matter?

3. What kind of output/cfm should I be looking for? Should I just go with the gallon (good up to 40g, for 12-93 gallons, etc.) ratings on the air pumps? The double sponge filters are rated for 20 gallons each, so I should be over-filtered...

These are the filters in question:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-Bio-S...-Fish-Tank-Double-Sponge-XY2822-/261031309992

Thanks!

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Instead of doing sponge filters then switching to a hob or 2 down the road and risking another cycle and costing you more money why not get the hob now and put one of these prefilters on the intake tube?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002LL32RY

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you
Just trying something different, and space constraints. The back of the tank is pretty close to the wall, I think I've maybe barely got enough room for a HoB, will have to double check the space... Lots of people seem to use the sponge filters for shrimp tanks, and it'll probably be a shrimp-only tank for a few months, since I want to get plants established, and shrimp breeding before adding fish. Like I said, if they do well, might just stay with the sponge.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
you might be better served , money wise to do one hydro 3 or' 4 from ATI FILTERS ,,,,,,, that would be cheaper ,I think, and be just as effective as several of the smaller hang on the side "double sponges".. when you get the tank more stocked an hob should help...I have a 40b cichlid tank(firemouth , blood parrot. 7 skirt tetras, 3 plattys) running on AN AQUEON 55/75 FOR MECHANICAL AND HYDRO 4 SIZED sponge filter,,, tank is constantly crystal clear,, with no parameter problems :) just "food for thought"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store