New Spotted Gar!

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
They are tropical specy so 79-83 is perfect for them. Gar will accept any type of food such as feeders, pellets, shrimp, tilapia chunks.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I just read the species profile but it doesn't have what food I should feed it what temperature and stuff! Here he is!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Nice Gar man ! I'm not sure what to feed him but I'm sure you can pellet train him on Hikari jumbo carni sticks or if you want to go the live route feeders but I wouldn't recommend that or you could go dead fish like tilapia fillets or shrimp.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
it is most likely a Florida gar even if it is wild caught by you because you live in the wild range of the Florida gar. And Gar don't usually do very well with cichlid unless you have a huge tank with a lot of fish to spread the aggression.

gamelovers11223

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
NY
And Gar don't usually do very well with cichlid unless you have a huge tank with a lot of fish to spread the aggression.
Absolutely not true. My tank is an example. I got 10"+ Oscars, 8" Red Petenias, 13.5" Jaguar male, 8" Black Belt, 6" JD living with a 13.5" Spotted Gar and 18" Silver Aro. Absolutely no aggression towards the gar and vice versa. Even Flowerhorn I had did not bother my gar.
Exception would be super aggressive Purple Rose Queen and Red Devil.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Absolutely not true. My tank is an example. I got 10"+ Oscars, 8" Red Petenias, 13.5" Jaguar male, 8" Black Belt, 6" JD living with a 13.5" Spotted Gar and 18" Silver Aro. Absolutely no aggression towards the gar and vice versa. Even Flowerhorn I had did not bother my gar.
Exception would be super aggressive Purple Rose Queen and Red Devil.
And you happen to have a lot of fish to spread the aggression. You only helped back his comment haha

Reactions: MRE

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
And you happen to have a lot of fish to spread the aggression. You only helped back his comment haha

Actually I agree with him as well, I had a Florida Gar in a 180 with two Peacock bass. Yes, the tank is large, but its not really that big. I think that Cichlids and Gars are fine together, I even have done that Florida Gar and Peacock Bass combo in the far past in a 120.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store