LED lighting power for my tank

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
I have a 220g tank (6' X 2.5' X 2' tall) with arowana, pBass and some other fish. It is a planted tank.
I have been having very low lighting there (normal florescent lights T8 X 3 units). Still managed to get decent growth on the amazon plants. However, this is not adequate to see the colors of my fish. I need to switch to low cost LED.
I'm looking at the LED flood lights. I've attached a picture of what I'm looking at. Probably would use 2 or 3 units of these with 6500K range. My question is what would be the ideal total power of LED lighting for my tank size and depth? Is 100W total too much? These units will be simply kept on top of the glass lid. view1.png

view1.png

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I considered the led floods. Go to your hardware store like Lowes they have a tone of inexpensive options for cheap!

As long as their 6500k ish that's ideal and 3x 100watts should do but with high lighting you may need co2 gas.

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
If you built a bar to mount the lights to they will cover a larger area snd you could probably get away with 2 fixtures. Even laying them on glass I would start with 2, its easy and quick to add a third in the future if felt more was needed so why waste the money and risk algae issues.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to go with this and see the result. Acutally I have one 20W 6000K LED flood light in my 65g tank which is doing good. I get good plant growth there too. Just not sure how effective it will be in my bigger tank. As people said, I can always add more if 2 X 50W is not enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store