Help me decide my stock!

sidman24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2013
Ohio
So I got a new 70 gallon ( I think it's actually 75 but the lady who sold it to me said 70 ) tank. I would like to make it a chiclid tank. I think I want to go central / South American since it's the same as community and I won't have to mess with ph or anything... At least that's what I heard. My substrate is play sand and I plan to have decor with hiding spots and maybe a few fake or live plants. Here is a list of the fish I like my local pet store carries, the ones with "..." After them are the ones I really enjoy. Please tell me my tank suggestions! Thanks so much! I've never had experience with cichlids.

Maisoni reef zebra ...
Jaguar managuense cichlid ...
Pseud kennyi ...
Pseud zebra blue
OB peacock
Peacock apache
Tilapia buttikofferi cichlid ...
Red spot ayassae
Yellow lab ...
Bumble bee afr cichlid ...
Milomo cichlid
Pseud sockofi ...
Hap venustus
Hap borleyi ...
Blood red parrot ...
School of tiger barbs ?
Pleco of some type ?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Well rule out all the Africans on that list besides the buttikoferi. With those you will likely have to add ph buffers n all that to get good conditions for them to thrive. I've heard of them surviving with ca and sa cichlids but I personally wouldn't mix the two.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Also what are you looking for? Do you want a number of small to medium size fish or one large fish that's a wet pet.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
+1 it all depends on what your looking for , mixing African and American is a big no no imo (that's why I set up a second cichlid tank for Africans :D )

sidman24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2013
Ohio
Well I would like one two fairly good sized fish, and some others to accompany them. I didn't want to start an African tank because I'm scared it will be to hard ... I'm not familiar with ph buffers and all that...

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Go with a Oscar. Maybe a convict or a pair with it. All are very interactive once they get used to see you.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Maisoni reef zebra ... Will work
Jaguar managuense cichlid ... Too big
Pseud kennyi ...will work
Pseud zebra blue - will work
OB peacock - will work
Peacock apache - will work
Tilapia buttikofferi cichlid ... Too big
Red spot ayassae - what is this?
Yellow lab ... Will work
Bumble bee afr cichlid ... Need 6ft tank
Milomo cichlid - need 6ft tank
Pseud sockofi ...
Hap venustus - need 6 ft tank
Hap borleyi ... Need 6 ft tank
Blood red parrot ... Will work
School of tiger barbs ? Will work
Pleco of some type ? Will work

The ones that need 6ft tanks are really strong swimmers and get 10+ inches. They need a lot of back and forth room.
Jag and tilapia should in 125.
The rest will all work. together even.

If it were me I'd do either a lone red devil/Midas or cuban cichlid. Or a salvini, convict, and jack Dempsey or something like that. Or, if I went african, peacocks and yellow labs.

Edit: a minimum of 6 fish? Prolly going to end doing african. If you want personality a big, lone sa/ca cichlid. Also, you don't need to mess with ph for tank breed, lfs, fish. Lol. The guys in here are crazy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store