What kind of barb is this?

Jae

Feeder Fish
Oct 6, 2013
California
How's it goin' everyone, I was wondering if anyone out there could help me identify exactly what kind of barb this is? I picked these up at my lfs, who claim they are "clown barbs," because I'd never really seen anything like them before. They had a tank to their self (about 20 of them), they weren't kept with the tiger or green tiger barbs. These little guys have so much vibrant color they practically glow, making them stick out like a sore thumb from the other traditional barbs I keep them with. I'll try getting some more pictures, these don't really do much justice. IMG_0469.JPGIMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

ScottishFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Green tiger barbs, LFS can display the same fish under a host of different names, generally to increase the chances of purchase. I mean a clown barb would sound more appealing to a 5year old than a green tiger barb would. Requirements are identical to tiger barbs, and they will school with Tiger/green/albino barbs. I have noticed this from first hand experience.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
I will third Green Tiger Barb, very nice looking too.

Jae

Feeder Fish
Oct 6, 2013
California
I know what the green tiger barbs look like, I have a number of those as well. I think these pictures are misleading, I should get one of these next to one of my green tiger barbs they don't look the same.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Libpete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
England
They are nice looking. They sure dont look like regular greens to me from what ive owned.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
gtb . imo

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I know what the green tiger barbs look like, I have a number of those as well. I think these pictures are misleading, I should get one of these next to one of my green tiger barbs they don't look the same.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
It's still same species...and they are green tiger barb, just a different strain. Tho they might be a cross between a green tiger barb and a harelquin tiger barb.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store