4'x3'x17" all acrylic build

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Well you never can have to many projects going on at one time so decided to add another one. Going to be a little smaller then the 7'x12'x33" in the garage I am currently working on. Being that I run a CNC at work I couldn't think of a better tool to cut my parts. Tank is being made from leftovers.

Dimensions 4' long x 3' wide x 17" tall
All 1/2" cell cast acrylic.

Here is the start more pictures to come tonight.
uploadfromtaptalk1381837232765.jpg

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
The beauty of machines. A little programing and voilà, instant fish tank. Minus a bottom and some strips for the lids. Just need to order some Weld On and I can start putting this thing together.
uploadfromtaptalk1381869734535.jpg

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Sweet dimensions!

csaechao

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
looks like a great ray grow out tank in the making. can't wait to see this thing up and running.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Sweet dimensions!
I wanted a little more height but was thrilled to get this footprint out of what was laying around.

looks like a great ray grow out tank in the making. can't wait to see this thing up and running.
I hope you are right.

Man this is going to look great,,subb

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Should look pretty good when done. Just hope it doesn't blow apart when I fill it lol.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Very nice work :) i own/run an axyz cnc from canada and i love it. Makes easy work of acrylic compared to a table saw. Are u planning on using the solvent #4 or the 2part #40/42?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Very nice work :) i own/run an axyz cnc from canada and i love it. Makes easy work of acrylic compared to a table saw. Are u planning on using the solvent #4 or the 2part #40/42?

Nice looking router. I run a Stiles pod and rail router. The parts were already small enough to not have to use the flatbed router. Honestly if I didn't have the router I don't think I would be doing this lol.

As for which Weld On I was waiting for you to stop in here. What would you suggest? Do you think that the tank is low enough to use a thinner glue? Followed up by a thicker one in all the corners? Or just a thinner glue? Or just use a thicker glue?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Its always a debate with which glue to choose...have u ever used the solvent #4 or any of the other weld on products before? U could get away with the #4 in 1/2" material but it takes a bit of practice to get ur technique down to make no bubbles or dry spots. If u have scraps available its worth a shot to practice with #4 and see if u feel confident enough to make a crystal clear seam. The #4 is the cheapest. Some members use #16 and the pin method but im only a fan of #16 for minor repairs myself. The #40 is by far the strongest but it is also messy. Practicing with #40 can get expensive and u only have around 20min before ur batch starts to heat up and harden. Any #40 you get on the material is there for good unless u sand/buff it off so u have to be careful and quick if u try and wipe anything off. When building with 40 you have to do a few pieces at a time (sides,all sides to bottom, top) rather than just clamping and taping the acrylic together all at once and shooting #4. #42 resembles the loctite brand 2 part epoxy and it mixes for u as u squirt it out. If u can locate the #42 for a reasonable price it may be ur best bet to be confident and make a clean product. A gallon of #40 runs around $100-150 and will be more than enough to put the whole thing together, tip and pour the inside seams and have some left for practice or other projects. Hope my jabber makes some sense lol, ive used all the products myself and its still hard to deciede for certain jobs. If i was building it id use #40, try to keep it clean and do no final buffing. The correct/professional way is to use #40 than completly buff out all ur mistakes and overspills but i am both lazy and not that knowledgable about the whole buffing aspect as theres several ways to do that too. Buffing alone is a project in itself, i am lazy so i flame polish my acrylic edges so there not sharp and deal with looking at whatever i spill as its still clear. My local acrylic shop uses #42 exclusively for everything they make, i think it has alot to do with convience tho. If i had to turn out alot of product every day mixing #40 and using #4 with messes of bottles/applicators would get old real quick. Feel free to p.m. me im always glad to share my experiences with acrylic.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Everything you said makes sense to me. I guess it is time to decide what number I want to use. I have used 2 of their glues before. Trying to remember what number it was. One was like water and in a syringe for a repair and the other is still in my refrigerator in the garage in a squeeze tube.

Starting to like the idea of #42. The cartridge looks very similar to a solid surface gun. I may have to look into that. I really don't want this tank to pop anytime soon considering who will be calling this home for a little while. So even if it takes a few more days to put together I think I will take the stronger glue. Thanks for the information. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store