Things to consider in gettng a new 90 gallon

cideon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
west texas
So my current setup has a roughly 5 inch Oscar (Marlowe) and a 2-3 inch Firemouth (Cal) in a 65 gallon, being that I couldn't get a bigger tank until I moved out (this is my mom's house). I am in the process of moving to an apartment, and I was thinking of getting a 90gal for these two guys... I know it'd be better, but would it be big enough for them? Waste-wise and for movement I mean, because if they develop any aggression, I can separate Cal, as I have a 40 breeder in storage. As it is, Cal mostly hides in the plants (from me and other people in the room), but when alone, he is OK following Marlowe around and the Oscar doesn't seem to mind him at all. Here are my questions:

-Can you hire movers to pick something up at a store? Me and my BFF could only BARELY manage transporting the 65, and a 90 likely wouldn't fit in my SUV anyway, because of the extra length. It's a LFS, not a big pet chain, so I doubt they do delivery.
-I want to mix black blasting sand and white pool filter sand for the 90, does equal half and half give you the best result? What's the best way to mix newly cleaned, thus wet, sand?
-Would it be OK to move Cal first, with some of the filter media, to get the cycle started, before taking over Marlowe? I can't take the whole filter with me as the 65 will be used for some other fish at my mom's house, as we are switching around things.
-I have renter's insurance, and I live on the ground floor so the leasing person told me an aquarium is fine, with no gallon limits XD But do I need to specify indoor water damage with the renter's insurance?
-More species specific: I've heard having a lot of hiding places for some fish makes them more visible, because they feel safe. But the Firemouth continues to hide when people are around, though half the tank is just FULL of fake plants where he stays hiding in. Do I need to add more than one hiding area, like two plants clumps and a cave? Would that help, or do you think that is simply his temperament?
-Otherwise, would it be possible to switch out the Firemouth with a Jack Dempsey (so both could be seen instead of one being invisible)? My JD (Murphy), is 1.5 inches (so likely still too small to risk around Marlowe), but later on would they be all right in the 90 as a permanent tank? Being smaller than the Oscar, I would think this would prevent the JD from being too aggressive with Marlowe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store