Lemon Yellow Cichlid as food.

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
Hi everyone I have a pond which will be housing a TSN, RTC, 2 florida gars, TSNxRTC, silver aro, 2 oscars and clown knife fish. And I wanted to set up a community of lemon yellow Cichlid as a base diet for my fish (I chose them because they're easy to get and they grow to decent size) my monster fish are still babys with the biggest being at 8 inches. I was thinking of buying about 50 cichlids so they can have enough time to establish, grow and reproduce. Is there enough time for them to reproduce? Is it enough to start with 50 fish? What do you think? Any comments or suggestions are very well received. Thank you.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
Here's the picture of the pond.

uploadfromtaptalk1381939165765.jpg

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
That's a great looking pond. I'm not exactly sure which specific cichlid you're talking about as a "lemon yellow" though, are you talking about the yellow lab African cichlid or something else? If the African, I believe they're mouth brooders and wouldn't really yield as much fry as other cichlids, especially CA cichlids.

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
That's a great looking pond. I'm not exactly sure which specific cichlid you're talking about as a "lemon yellow" though, are you talking about the yellow lab African cichlid or something else? If the African, I believe they're mouth brooders and wouldn't really yield as much fry as other cichlids, especially CA cichlids.
I think they're also called electric yellow Cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus is more accurate) yes they are mouth brooders.. what other fish would you recommend?

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
Great looking pond you have there :thumbsup: Can I ask you why would you want to feed your monster fishes cichlids?
I thought of them because they're cheap, pretty although they will be food, and I read they we're fairly easy to breed.. what other fish would you recommend? The things is that my pond is not in mi house, it's a 40 min drive and I stop by about 3 - 4 times a week so I want some fish to be available for them to eat the days I can't stop by.

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Nothing wrong with the idea, just note that they'll produce something like 10-15 or so fry per pair. Something like a convict can produce something like 100-150 per batch. Convicts might not be the best idea, just an example.

Lead20

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2013
NY
You can always buy a huge amount of rosy red feeder fish from your local pet store, I threw about 25 feeders in my 1000g pond and after a few months there were hordes of babies, they ate the algae in the pond so they grew themselves, I currently have about 150 adult rosy reds about 3inches long with hundreds of babies being housed with a few koi in my outdoor pond, they are the snack food if I'm away for a few days

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
Nothing wrong with the idea, just note that they'll produce something like 10-15 or so fry per pair. Something like a convict can produce something like 100-150 per batch. Convicts might not be the best idea, just an example.
It's ok I'm really open to suggestions, I thought of them because they added some color to the pond. Why do you think convicts are not the best idea? Can't really remember seeing convicts in any LFS, I will search them. Are they fairly cheap?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store