Eheim 2080 not working :(

mad85

Feeder Fish
Oct 17, 2013
Malta
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum although not quite new (but of course still loads to learn!) to fish keeping having kept a few species tanks, especially goldfish, koi and Cichlids. My current passion are Oscars and I have a few javelin of which I will then chose a pair and then search a suitable owner for the others.

Anyway to match their appetite and size I have set up a 350l tank running one Eheim Classic 2217 and an Eheim 2080. The Classic has been a faithful and reliable fish keeping companion for a few years and bought the 2080 second hand a few months back and has also been working well.

Last night however I noted that there was no flow coming out of the 2080 and the canister itself became quite warm. When I tried to prime it, the water coming out was also warm. I suspect that it has been clogged for some hours, so I tried to dissemble and re-assemble everything and tried to run it empty with no media in it but flow-rate was very very low and would eventually stop. I checked for obstructions in the pipe work by putting the output beneath the water level and flow (by gravity) was normal. What could be the problem? Would really appreciate if anyone could help.

Currently setting up another Eheim 2217 which I had lying around for back but I really dont want to throw away my 2080 :(

Thanks a lot,
Mark

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Remove the cover and access the impeller and make sure there is nothing stuck in and around it. Sometimes if you put filter floss on the top it can get stuck in the impeller.

mad85

Feeder Fish
Oct 17, 2013
Malta
Thanks for the replies! Today I am going to take to the local Eheim supplier maybe they can help me out there! I also broke the indicator while fiddling with it so I guess I need to go there anyway lol :) Good thing I had my backup classic (reliable) eheim on standby :)

mad85

Feeder Fish
Oct 17, 2013
Malta
we think a nozzle (the pipe-thing which carried water from the impeller to the outlet) was out of place and a bit worn so bought a new one and should be ok - will test it out tonight hopefully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store