No baffle sump. Will it work?

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm planning a 30 gallon sump for my 75 gallon discus tank I'm setting up.

I'm planning to have no baffles.
There will be a filter sock on the inlet into the sump, at which point I'm just going to throw in a ton of plastic pot scrubbers. Will they work for biological filtration without any manipulation other than being placed in the water?
I'm also going to run an algea scrubber with a small mag drive and the return will be a larger mag drive 5.
Does this seem like a plan that will work?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I run 4 sumps and none have baffles. If you have something to put the bio in (laundry bags, etc) then baffles just get in the way.

I've run wet drys with baffles in the past and they were just a pita to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also do not use baffles in my sumps when using filter socks and bio-media.
I find it is best to use a screen of some type over the pump intake, to prevent entry of small chunks of gravel, debris, and anything that could possibly end up there. (and fish, which occasionally end up in the sump)

Within the last year or so, I have started using Laguna pumps, which come with a screen case, that I find helpful.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Lagunas usually run about $30-40 more than the comparable Mag, but they operate on half the power. You'll get your money back pretty quickly at the end of the day.?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with JC119, power consumption can easily make up the difference
I just checked drsfostersmith
A Mag Dr 1800gph pump is listed at approx $170
A Laguna 2000gph is listed at $195
I find the Lagunas much quieter, and give off less heat.
As you can see by my pics, I own both Mag Dr and Laguna
The only rub (and really not a major one)
is that the Laguna does not come with PVC compatible threading out of the box, and the Mag Dr does.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The lagunas are not only cheaper, they use less electricity.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
The mag drive 5 might actually be more efficient than the smaller lagunas depending on how tall your tank and stand is. People usually recommend 4-5x turnover through the sump, so you want to aim for about 300-375gph after factoring in the head height

The mag 5 pumps 324gph @ 5' head, uses 45 watts, and costs $59 on Amazon

The laguna 600 only pumps 137gph @ 5' head (or 245gph @ 4'), uses 32 watts, and costs $76

The laguna 960 pumps 357gph @ 5' but uses 57 watts and costs $97

If you can raise the sump so you have closer to 3' head height, the laguna 600 will pump 351gph which would be perfect. Here's a few links if you want to compare the flow rates
http://www.pondpumpdepot.com/subcat270.html
http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/careguides/LagunaPond-GTWG-2013-English.pdf

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I completely ripped off john's sump design. I had a 55g wet/dry previously and I will never go back. No baffles is the way of the future. I also use Laguna pumps and LOVE them. Kind of a pain to hard plumb. But it is well worth it IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store