Algae treatment

JedisonsDad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2012
Cannon AFB
I never had this issue until I upgraded my lighting for soft corals. What is this so that I can start treating it, without simply turning off the lights.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1382282896.054105.jpg

Tank has been running over a year. It's a 50 gallon with one clown, one blue line velvet damsel, one Kenya tree, and one anemone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

midnight_games

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2012
Albany, GA
Looks like cyanobacteria. Cyano is caused by a high nutrient levels; so increase you water changes, add more flow in the tank (so that your protein skimmer is more effective) & cut down on feeding too much.
Think about adding some sandsifters too...starfish and/or some goby.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
The texture reminds me of cyano as well, but that is normally purple unless there's another type i don't know of. But it looks more like an algae bloom sw tanks go through when first starting up. Do you have any type of clean up crew in there? If not, I would say add a bunch if hermits and nasarius snails to help clean it up and turning up the flow would help as well.

JedisonsDad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2012
Cannon AFB
The texture reminds me of cyano as well, but that is normally purple unless there's another type i don't know of. But it looks more like an algae bloom sw tanks go through when first starting up. Do you have any type of clean up crew in there? If not, I would say add a bunch if hermits and nasarius snails to help clean it up and turning up the flow would help as well.

I think we have two hermit crabs. I've got a filter rated for a 75, a power head, and also a protein skimmer. No sand sifters. The tank has been running for over a year. We feed every three days. The only thing that changed was the lighting. Before we upgraded to T5 lightning, the tank was always crystal clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store