Life stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
St. George, Utah USA
Well, due to me owing my parents a couple grand and me having no way to pay it at the moment, I am going to be getting rid of my fish and selling my tank and everything. I've got about 650 into it and I'll probably be lucky to get 400 haha oh well. Such is life. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
What is the requirements they expect in you paying them back?

I have always paid back any debt I have ever had to my parents and grandparents when I have borrowed money. I have also always had expensive hobbies. Instead of selling off the stuff I own to pay back a debt - I just set up a payment plan, we have a paper where we log the date and payment amount (otherwise we would all forget lol). They would just take what I could give them on a month to month basis (at the time I made next to nothing so sometimes it was $100, sometimes more and sometimes it would be like $30, just depends on what I worked/made). This worked out great when I bought my first car and owed them 3k. My parents would never expect me to sell off anything I love or invest in (esp. If I will end up losing money from it) and esp. not to pay them back. Maybe try talking to them and see what you can work out?

I don't know your situation so I don't know if that would work. I would at the very least talk to them about it first, before getting rid of anything.

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
Well, due to me owing my parents a couple grand and me having no way to pay it at the moment, I am going to be getting rid of my fish and selling my tank and everything. I've got about 650 into it and I'll probably be lucky to get 400 haha oh well. Such is life. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
what do you owe to your parents?

Outlaw22

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2013
Backwoods
but why and how did he end up owing his parents couple grand?
I don't think its important to know how the op ended up with that amount...To the op I would try working out a payment deal like ASH said before selling your stuff.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It sounds like you don't have a job - I would get one - even if it's fast cash - like lawn maintenance / landscaping, or painting, etc, and show your parents that - and ask them to let you pay it off in X amount of time.
It is different, though, if you are clearly spending money (now) on the tank instead - so that would be a different story - which is also remedied by a job :)

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
How old are you?
Do you work?
What is the debt for?
What was the arrangement regarding the repayment of said debt?

At the end of the day fishkeeping is a luxury, something you spend money on after the bills are paid and debts settled. Your parents sound generous loaning you a couple of grand, TBH if I'd loaned someone money and they had spent $650 of their own money on unnecessary luxuries rather than making payment on that loan I'd be a bit annoyed.

Selling the aquarium stuff does seem a bit short-sighted, but [and forgive me if I'm wrong] if it has reached this point you probably should have started making a dent in that loan long ago? I agree with fwprawn, time to get some money coming in, even if it is mowing lawns or scrubbing toilets.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Thing is, even if you get $400, which you probably won't, you're still in the hole. Probably gonna need a job either way unless you're going to sell some other things.

Payment plan and some odd jobs sounds like the best plan.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store