The-ocean-is-broken

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Perhaps many have already read it. It is heart-breaking. Could it really be true? I always try to believe in people's best but, paradoxically, here I find myself hoping the guy has an agenda and is exaggerating things or puts his chosen spin on things he observes and reports, no?

http://news.yahoo.com/the-ocean-is-broken-133327474.html

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Yup thats what happens when people dont regulate fishing, reefs die, species die. Im not racist, but the japanese really need to figure out how to farm freekin tuna before they kill everything else trying to get it! And cut the crap with the whale hunts lol. Hopefully now with the advent of farming bluefins in the mediterranean they will slow down on that.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They do farm tuna on a small scale but it is said that the farm raised tuna's flavor does not compare to that of the wild,ocean caught tuna so it is not as popular there...The article should be entitled,The Ocean is Dead....so sad.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I live on the North Atlantic, and this is a daily thing for me to see - from when I was a little kid, to today, the change is drastic. The sad thing is that all the fishermen are up in arms, trying to fight the regulations, etc. And they wonder why there are no fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A few years ago I read an article in a National Geographic magazine and it pretty much predicted that most of the fish would be gone from the oceans in thirty to fifty years due to overfishing if the current catch rate did not change...guess that prediction was off a few years.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I think they forgot to account for the fact that other countries do not have the same regulations that we (try) to enforce. And pollution as well.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Who,Nat Geo?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm going to see if I still have the magazine around here somewhere but if I remember correctly the article cited cases of overfishing and wasteful tactics in different parts of the world.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store