Hand feeding and pellet training a gar

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
Can Someone tell me the best way to train them to go to pellets. I have been doing frozen shrimp and cutting it up for them and calamari too. And once a week I do blood worms for them. What is the next step.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thatdudeoverthere21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
It's difficult to do in my opinion. My gars didn't like pellets at first but after feeding them to my other fish, they kinda just picked up on it and started eating them.
If the food you feed them now floats on the top, try and get the pellets to float on top.
You could also try a starvation process.

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
How long do I starve them for? That is how I got them to eat frozen shrimp is starving them but that is getting expensive too.

My Oscar is a punk and just chews up and then spits out the sticks! Any suggestions on that one?

supergourami

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
ontario
How long do I starve them for? That is how I got them to eat frozen shrimp is starving them but that is getting expensive too.

My Oscar is a punk and just chews up and then spits out the sticks! Any suggestions on that one?

don't know about the gars but cichlids generally do that when it comes to new foods but they will eventually eat them.

supergourami

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
ontario
idk my new addition pike cichlid took a week or so how long have you had the o

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
idk my new addition pike cichlid took a week or so how long have you had the o
Since a baby and 5 months now! His diets a huge and variety he gets. Frozen shrimp. Calamari, krill, blood worms and anything that is within the tank he will get at! I have to distract him to get by getting his mouth full and then feeding the gars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store