*CHEAP/BULLET PROOF CINDER BLOCK STAND*

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Here's my 19$ cinder block stand for a 125gal 6' tank, 1 year and still going strong!

3 blocks high by 3 rows

2x2's for tank to sit on

2x2's ran length wise for support

Make sure ANY DIY stand is level! This can be disastrous if not leveled properly

Center tank and double check level before filling

Fill slowly check rigidity and level every now and then

And admire your handy work!

Note: for smaller tanks 2 columns can potentially work but 2x2 or 2x4 support is a must.

Building your own stand can save you $$ you can invest into better filtration, fish, tanks, etc or just save! Cheers :beer:

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!! about to make it 4 in a row!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

Reactions: TheWolfman

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This is what I did about 13 years ago when I was living in Hawaii. I just joined the workforce and didn't make a lot of money, and wood in Hawaii is expensive! I also didn't have all the hand and power tools I do today either. So, I came up with the idea of using cinder blocks as an strong and economical solution.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Liking that piece of driftwood in the center.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
put a piece of plywood on top & it was the tv stand in my first apartment ;-)
back when tv's weighed a ton.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Liking that piece of driftwood in the center.
Thanks! Even better I found it. Saw one of the roots sticking out of the mud on a river bank, dug it out with slim chance that it would actually be good. Turns out it was a fantastic centerpiece. If only I got a dollar for all the PM's asking to buy it....... :/

Thanks bud

put a piece of plywood on top & it was the tv stand in my first apartment ;-)
back when tv's weighed a ton.
Lol. Whatever works.

On another note you could easily put a piece of fabric to cover the stand and make it look more clean. I'm too lazy tho

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
DIY stand ideas are always awesome. I find stands to be more expensive than tanks sometimes (which is ridiculous) so it's nice to have a cheap alternative.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
DIY stand ideas are always awesome. I find stands to be more expensive than tanks sometimes (which is ridiculous) so it's nice to have a cheap alternative.
So true. You can build 10x the stand for 10% of the price of a store bought.

Great job on the block stand! I almost did the same, but opted for wood only because leveling the tank would have been very difficult in my location.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
On another note you could easily put a piece of fabric to cover the stand and make it look more clean. I'm too lazy tho

I'm sure you have one of those large racing banner you can easily throw in front of that stand hahah

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Bullet-proof, maybe, earthquake-proof? hmm...

The lack of lateral bracing always worries me with cinder block stands, especially at that height. I'm interested to hear why you put one long piece of timber down the middle rather than supporting the edges of the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store