Ideal aggressive fish for a 55 gallon tank?

Kaiden

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask for some advice/opinion on what possible aggressive/predator fish I can keep on a 55 gallon tank. I'm looking for something with a nice pattern/color and is an open swimmer (doesn't hide all day). The tank dimensions are 48" x 13" x 21". The tank is already cycled. In fact it's currently an African Cichlid tank but they're not really my type of fish. My family wanted it at the beginning but now that they're losing interest in fishkeeping, I figured I'll change the stock to something I'd like instead.

Thanks in advanced for your help! :)

Mmarder08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
Akron, Ohio
I would suggest a Cuban Cichlid they are very agresssive and easy on the eyes. Mine would attack the glass if I even looked at it from across the room. Throw some rosie reds in once and a while. I like watching them hunt them down. :)

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
MY PICK FOR A FRESH 55...DEMPSEY,,,, they are great looking fish IMO...and very personable if in a tank that they 1.are comfortable in.....(55)...2. don't have to share space with other cichlids .....3. get plenty of interaction with people:popcorn: you probably want to start with a little one.. so you don't get one that's been in the wrong environment to be a wet pet

Kaiden

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to research those fish mentioned since I'm pretty new to the aggressive types.

Aside from the Dempsey, are the others normally available at an LFS?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Jack Dempseys are normally kinda shy if kept alone. Just saying. People donate them to the store I work at all the time because they want more active fish.

Green terror, red devil, Midas, midevil.... Good choices. My midevil is the most responsive fish I've had. But need more room than a 75 long term. Even a jack Dempsey in 55 is pushing it IMO. I've seen some pretty big ones.

Long term in a 55.... Convicts or salvinis. Mean bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ska_kid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2012
Mars
Jack Dempseys are normally kinda shy if kept alone. Just saying. People donate them to the store I work at all the time because they want more active fish.

Green terror, red devil, Midas, midevil.... Good choices. My midevil is the most responsive fish I've had. But need more room than a 75 long term. Even a jack Dempsey in 55 is pushing it IMO. I've seen some pretty big ones.

Long term in a 55.... Convicts or salvinis. Mean bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Ppl bring at my job convicts all the time ..there so aggressive Haha

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Firemouths and some larger swordtails

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com