Oarfish found!!

Joey822

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
Sparks Nevada
Today in Southern California two oarfish washed up on shore,one being a female carring 2000eggs. An Oarfish is a serpant like fish that reaches about 18ft, which makes it the largest boney fish. These fish are rarly seen because they are a mezofalazic fish meaning they live between 600-1500ft under the survive. April 2010 a 12ft one washed up on shore, in June 2011 a 15ft one washed up. They are not being killed, they are just poor swimmers and are being washed up because of the strong California coasts and are suffocating. It actually stands on its head. Here's a pic of the oarfish. This is pretty amazing!uploadfromtaptalk1382571951037.jpg

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
i know about the one that washed up, have not heard about another 2.

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
from socal myself, san diego area, did allot of fishing never saw any, bummers, did have giant squid beach themselves a few times. they made good ray and shovel nose shark bait for days when cleaned and stripped out.

Curtis Rouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2012
Central California
That pic is not of the fish mentioned in the story. It's been up in Google for at least a year. That being said oarfish aren't that rare and grow to be a hell of a lot bigger than the one in the story ~56 feet

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
Nope. For some odd reason. Maybe they can not find that many healthy ones to put through the stress of the transfer to an aquarium, Even though they try to make as small of stress as possible. If there are any alive ones in captivity, PLEASE SEND ME A VIDEO, AND OR A LINK TO THE PLACE. THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE FISH IN THE WORLD.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
"Today in Southern California two oarfish washed up on shore,one being a female carring 2000eggs" Couldn't they try to save the eggs and raise them or study them???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store