Guppy colony and 3 silvers???

GiangNOOO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Where The Wild Things Are
Finally getting back into the game. I have a standard 180 gal with a colony of guppies. Maybe around 200 or so. How long do you think theyll last. If I added 3x baby silvers. 5-6" long? Is it possible to have 3 together? I had 1 before with bichers and a bunch of other fish. I just want an arowana only tank. Just one is boring to me.

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
Finally getting back into the game. I have a standard 180 gal with a colony of guppies. Maybe around 200 or so. How long do you think theyll last. If I added 3x baby silvers. 5-6" long? Is it possible to have 3 together? I had 1 before with bichers and a bunch of other fish. I just want an arowana only tank. Just one is boring to me.
a 180 gallon is too small for silvers, but the guppies could last a while depending on if its planted and the decor/ caves you have in that tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Dear pole,

Have you kept silvers?

Op,
You can have the silvers in there for a year to 2 years. Eventually you'll want at least a 240 for them, a 300 wide would be better.

3 is doable, I have managed three in a 125 before for a year or so, but eventually you might just want to cut down to one.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Even if pole hasn't kept them he is right. Just saying.

I don't think the guppies will last long. He is going to have really plant the tank to gir them enough cover. And three large fish like that you don't want to decorate the tank too heavily because that cuts back on swimming space.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I had two 24" silvers in a 180g tank, it was not good. I would give the OP about a year with the 180g, by then the silvers will be about 18" and in need of a bigger tank. Eventually a tank with a least a 8'x3' is going to be required to house these three silvers. Of coarse all this hinges on if the three even get along.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I'll give 4-6days maximum for the guppies, it's either they get eaten or get stressed, leading to jumping out or dying. For the 180 it's all been answered above. Post a pic for the beauties!

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
a 180 gallon is too small for silvers
I had two 24" silvers in a 180g tank, it was not good. I would give the OP about a year with the 180g, by then the silvers will be about 18" and in need of a bigger tank. Eventually a tank with a least a 8'x3' is going to be required to house these three silvers. Of coarse all this hinges on if the three even get along.
The voice of experience vs ....

With my very limited experience with young silvers, I'd say they would clean out the guppies fairly fast once they're settled. A group of tall dense plants may help, but if you want the guppies to survive then try mixing them when the aros are 2'+

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store