Oscar Scare

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
So. i get up this morning, and turn on Oscars light, and find him floating at the top of the tank on his side. just floating there kinda spinning with the current in the corner. I think oh crap, Oscars sick or dying. I put a digi thermo in the water see if maybe he is cooking, nope water is 81, where its suppose to be. Oscar still floating at the top, kinda watching me, but making no real moves to right himself. I do a water test. nitrates a little high but it is water change day. about this time, its been 15 minutes he slowly rights himself, and cruises to the bottom. does a lap and runs up to the side of the tank, saying FEED ME. He was asleep!! never seen a fish sleep at the top of a tank on his side. just slowly spinning with the current. Goofy fish. scared me!!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Oscars do exibit some strange behavior at times. They do lay on their sides, I can't say I've ever seen one floating like that before while sleeping but I don't put anything past them. If he seems normal now I guess it was just chillin' up there.

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
yup... he usually sleeps on his side at the bottom. leaned against the glass in same corner.

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
spooky to find him at the top, on his side head and tail down slowly spinning in the corner, sleeping. he is 11" and that's the dead fish position.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
So. i get up this morning, and turn on Oscars light, and find him floating at the top of the tank on his side. just floating there kinda spinning with the current in the corner. I think oh crap, Oscars sick or dying. I put a digi thermo in the water see if maybe he is cooking, nope water is 81, where its suppose to be. Oscar still floating at the top, kinda watching me, but making no real moves to right himself. I do a water test. nitrates a little high but it is water change day. about this time, its been 15 minutes he slowly rights himself, and cruises to the bottom. does a lap and runs up to the side of the tank, saying FEED ME. He was asleep!! never seen a fish sleep at the top of a tank on his side. just slowly spinning with the current. Goofy fish. scared me!!
weird . O.O u should've taken a pic of it. :L

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
Mine also float on their sides when sleeping.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
haha, I love reading posts about Os. I always say, if you're worried about your O, look for a physical sign. Oscar behavior could mean anything depending on the fish! Mine always did that when acclimating or rescaping the tank, big babies cant deal with change

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store