skinning my new stand predicament

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Next weekend I'm building a stand and while everything while be easy structurally I'm having issues with skinning it. The stand will be your typical 2x4 build and I want to skin it in .25" plywood. The face will essentially just hide the 2x4s and I found a place online to build the doors (roughly 22x29 oak for $50 drilled for cabinet hinges). I'm having problems finding white oak bigger than 24x28, my sides will be 30x36 and while I can borrow a joiner, I have no idea how to use it. I wouldnt mind red oak plywood with white oak doors but all trim is white oak as well. I have a lot of min wax special walnut stain lefover from a table that I will be using.

Since I can get pine trim am I better off with pine plywood, pine trim, white oak doors?

Any thoughts or alternatives are greatly appreciated.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
You are somewhat local. You should be able to find everything in white oak at owl lumber. They have 3 locations around Chicago. Prices suck but they usually have all that in stock. They lay up our custom veneer panels for jobs. They also carry solid but again not cheap.

I wouldn't do pine. Just won't look right even if you stain it dark with those doors.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Thanks for the tip. They're not exactly convenient but definitely doable. I have a couple of local places that sound similar that don't have products listed online that I still need to call but I need to get moving while I can still stain in the garage.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Thanks for the tip. They're not exactly convenient but definitely doable. I have a couple of local places that sound similar that don't have products listed online that I still need to call but I need to get moving while I can still stain in the garage.
I hear ya. That is why I heated the garage. I still haven't ran heat in the tanks since the temperature dropped outside. Plus i can work out there on stuff. I would call owl and check with them to. You may hang up when you here prices lol. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store