Wild caughts vs Captive breeds

Bichisaur

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
Maryland
Just a random thought this morning while chilling with my patients in the recovery room. Do you think we can help protect our beloved fishes in the wild if we (fish keepers) would buy more CBs to stock our tanks than going for WCs?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Yes, I think so. I never understood all the fuss about F1, F0...I just don't get it.

If I had a choice between purchasing a captive bred specimen and a wild caught, I would buy the captive bred. I think I may be in the minority here though. I also don't want to buy a fish just because it's rare. In fact, if I know a species is endangered, I would be less inclined to want it.

Collecting rare/endangered species reminds me of how a lot of women are so mesmerized by jewelry...IMO, it's just silly.

Jkempel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2013
Empel - Netherlands
I agree
we need to leave the nature alone, there are so many fish in the hobby so why would you endanger them further?
it makes no sense.

(where can i make an introduction)

greets

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
if a fish can already be bred in captivity, there should be a ban on importing new specimens.
Completely infeasible for so many reasons....

Wild caught FW fish aren't as bad as reef fish IMO, the collection methods are usually a lot less harmful and sustainable. In many cases it creates an industry and source of income for the locals, who otherwise might resort to slash-and-burn farming or other more harmful methods of making money. And there are numerous cases where the aquarium hobby is the sole reason a species hasn't become extinct.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I agree
we need to leave the nature alone, there are so many fish in the hobby so why would you endanger them further?
it makes no sense.

(where can i make an introduction)

greets
....... but certain wc fish that we keep are only because they havent spawned in captivity yet, not endangered in any way. It's not quite so cut and dry. I buy both depending on the situation......

Another species Im choosing to attempt to breed is "because" they are endangered and might possibly not exist in the wild anymore........the hobby is actually helping save certain species from man's environmental impact on "nature".......

If I have the option, tank bred...but sometimes we don't...

Loshmitchell101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Theres so many people looking for F0. Its had to tell. Ive raised random store bought with better potential. F0 is just a label. Feed them right, grow them yourself. Period. Any store bought has potential.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store