Vitamins in water

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Now this is a quirky thread, but I just want to know what will be your thoughts about this guys.

Let's say I added some lime in the water, will the fish absorb the vit c. ?
(I don not wish to put the fish in a lemonade ok?, just some 2-4% on the water)

I'm askin this because I'm not going to do this, but I just wondered will this kind of vit. and minerals will be beneficial to the fish or not? will it work out or not.
It's a scientific question really, I'm always searching more rooms for the hobby.

I'm also quite aware that there is some water chem that is required and a whole lot of difference from fish to another. Like for example malawi bio type to amazon. I know such things is feasible at some point because, as for example, katapang leaves or other stuff can be beneficial to red aro as they are in the tanning process, what if adding some egg shells/ other natural source of vitamins, watery fruit's juices in the water can be proved as beneficial as well? What do you guys think?

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
if you have ever used boyds vita-Chem it suggests putting some in the water. while I use it to reconstitute freeze dried krill, to add to my tank is just polluting the tank IMHO. Feed your fish properly and all should be all they need.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
While water chemistry can make a difference in general, and sometimes species specific, adding vitamins to the tank water itself will not benefit fish nearly as much as adding those same vitamins to their food. Also, the tanning process in red aros is mostly from light, especially natural sunlight, not from acidic water parameters due to ketapang leaves etc. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?159569-Pang-Long-Royal-Red-Supreme
Koji and crew do not add anything special to their pond water, and the water in Singapore is approx 7.6 straight out of the tap.

One thing that can help with regards to minerals, is ensuring an adequate calcium level in ones water. Not just as a nutrient for growing fry, but to lessen the toxicity of any potential heavy metals that can be found in tap water.

http://www2.bren.ucsb.edu/~dturney/...ion_Monitoring_Protection_Remediation/107.pdf

http://ijabbr.com/upload/IJABBR-2013-1016.pdf

Not a big thing if one lives in an area with decent water quality, but could be an asset for those with water quality issues such as high levels of metals. (copper, lead, etc)

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I've used it as a food soak, but like the above poster said, I believe it will be bad for water quality

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
thanks for the inputs, so vitamins in the water can't be absorbed by the fish huh.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Vitamins in water are absorbed by fish, same as other things such as pollutants. Boyds supposedly use forms that are somewhat more stable in water.
However nutrients are much more efficiently delivered by ingestion.
Katapang leaves gradually release beneficial elements & not all at once. like tea, but slower. I doubt that herbal qualities can really be compared with vitamins either.
I put some Boyds vitachem in the water, with a Betta that's old or in recovery, in only a few gallon container *just in case it helps*. water is changed often. Basically just for such cases in tanks 20G & under, short term. Also the garlic drops. I did it recently for a kenyi who tore up his lips because I wasn't seeing the usual rate of healing by using only increased water changes & salt.
In regular tanks that would be unrealistically wasteful, as RD said.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store