What to put in new tank?

Shaunb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
London
I have just acquired a 5.5 foot tall, 1.5 foot wide octagonal free standing Acrylic tank. I was thinking to Maybe to have a tall plastic kelp like plant in the middle. Then maybe lots of smaller mawali cichlids and small pleco's.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I would go with a planted community. With that footprint there aren't many cichlids that would be comfortable in that tank. You could possibly get away with dwarf cichlids like African shell dwellers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Shaunb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
London
Salt water is a bit to high maintenance for me. Yes some type of dwarf cichlid would defenatly be an option. I do have 2 other tanks with a normal footprint 5 foot and 4 foot with different types cichlid and other fish. Maybe Baby African cichlids that can be moved when they out grow it?

Shaunb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
London
Iv been advised by a friend to put 50 neons, a breeding pair of angle fish and a couple of small plecos. But I'm still not sure about community fish..

berry1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2013
United Kingdom
That is one odd sized aquarium lol but think ive seen smaller versions on ebay :) i know you dismissed the saltwater idea but really if you dont go with corals or if you do go with hard ones then it really is not very hard. Setting up my biorb life 60 and fluval edge both as marine tanks because once they are set up its not much more difficult than freshwater.

If you do want to go freshwater and your not the community type how about just going with the smaller species of malwai cichlids? not the best dimensions for them but some species such as peacocks should fit fine as they only get to about 4".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store