cheaper altenative to hikari carni sticks?

supergourami

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
ontario
at $70 for a large bag and my fish eating these like no tomorrow its really breaking the bank. is there a cheaper alternative I could try out? or buy in bulk?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I hear new life spectrum is a good one.
Since the OP is looking for an alternative to carnisticks, im guessing he'll probably want something that gets soft / spongy and not hard like NLS pellets?

Although not sure if NLS makes soft pellets?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
^ Good question. Op are you looking for somthing along the lines of a direct replacement (sort of like a Carni knock off)? Similar Nutritional value, floating pellet, palletability at a cheaper price? There are many alturnatives. NLS is a denser but IMO nuturionally superior food but might require some getting used to. I'm not familiar with all the foods on the market but I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions/opinions on the subject.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The OP is in Canada, shipping food to Canada sans an import license by the buyer risks confiscation at the border. CFIA regulations.

There are LOTS of alternative foods to Hikari, and with the exception of maybe your aro every last one of your fish can be trained to eat most of them. Check with some of the online Can vendors such as Pets & Ponds, they carry most of the better foods.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Kens fish sticks. But yes I am a huge fan of all the nls stuff. Its great food and your fish will accept it after a short time.

Sent from Note 2 mini computer

supergourami

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
ontario
im generally looking for something that's good for my fish and is cheaper I don't really need it to become soft like carni sticks. my fish also accept cichlid gold including my arowana but I don't think switching to that as a staple is good for my arowana. I have a arowana cichlid combo if that matters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store