What size PVC pipe.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Going to ditch the canister filters soon. From my bigger tanks anyways.

One tank is a 140g
The other is a 135g

What size pvc should i use? I plan on using 2 45g food grade drums with the tops cut off.

Any thoughts on how large of a diameter piping i should use on the overflow?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
How much water you're trying to move will determine the size pipe you need. Have a look at the sticky thread on pipe sizes in the DIY Filters forum.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Im setting up a 135 with 55 gallon sump and Ill be running 1 1/2" drains Bean animal style through 1" bulkheads. These are oversized because of the full siphon/open channel design, so only 1 drain will take about 99% of the system volume. totally silent and floodproof though.....Diablo dc5500 moving around 1500gph (1200 at 6')

I also run a 210 with a mag 18 (1800)gph draining through 1" dursos as well. Much noisier setup, but 1" can handle quite a bit of flow. I figure with headloss I'm pushing around 1200gph

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I like to use at least 1.5" PVC for overflows, that way it's hard for small stuff like plant debris, a small fish, snails, or the combination of all 3 to plug up the pipes. Even though I will have 1/2" or 1" flow to the tank, I like the out flow to be larger, and able to handle excess.
I decided on a size (1.5") bought a drill bit for that size bulkhead, and now all my tanks are drilled to that size. You'd be amazed how easily a couple snails, mixed with a leaf or 2 can stop water in a small bore pipe.
I use 1.5" PVC on tanks as small as my 20 gal refugiums, with low flow just to be safe.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I like to use at least 1.5" PVC for overflows, that way it's hard for small stuff like plant debris, a small fish, snails, or the combination of all 3 to plug up the pipes. Even though I will have 1/2" or 1" flow to the tank, I like the out flow to be larger, and able to handle excess.
I decided on a size (1.5") bought a drill bit for that size bulkhead, and now all my tanks are drilled to that size. You'd be amazed how easily a couple snails, mixed with a leaf or 2 can stop water in a small bore pipe.
I use 1.5" PVC on tanks as small as my 20 gal refugiums, with low flow just to be safe.
Thanks for your input. Now what is your guys opinions on drilling the tank vs an overflow that goes inside the tank?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Good points. I run (4) 1 1/2" on my 300 for a large safety factor.

A 1 1/2" could handle a 135 with ease I'd think. For me, overflow placement is decided once the tank is in its ideal location.... Then I choose drain location and drill.

Some, like my 300 go flush against the wall and I wanted 3 panel viewing, so bottom drains made the most sense. My 135 is also flush against a wall but I chose the side mount the drains and returns calflo style so as not to waste floorspace (3d background). My garage tanks all have movable eshopps externals so I do have yo commit to syn particular setup...

Choice is yours really.....

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Good points. I run (4) 1 1/2" on my 300 for a large safety factor.

A 1 1/2" could handle a 135 with ease I'd think. For me, overflow placement is decided once the tank is in its ideal location.... Then I choose drain location and drill.

Some, like my 300 go flush against the wall and I wanted 3 panel viewing, so bottom drains made the most sense. My 135 is also flush against a wall but I chose the side mount the drains and returns calflo style so as not to waste floorspace (3d background). My garage tanks all have movable eshopps externals so I do have yo commit to syn particular setup...

Choice is yours really.....

My tanks are all away from the wall so thats no big deal. Im looking towards pros and cons vs drilling and overflows that hang over the tank. If theres no real benifit other then looks or placement id rather not drill the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store